Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Pistol

Old 01-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Pistol

Want a concealable .45? Here you go...

http://www.paraord.com/product/category.html?cat=20
Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

If you are looking for a medium sized handgun, look at the Springfield XD9 or XD40 in the service edition. I have the xd9 and can't say enough good about it. very reasonably priced too.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the Springfield XD. I have the tactical model in 40, an it is a very very sweet shooter. They make a compact model, and a service model that should both fit your needs well. The tactical is a pain to conceal.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:08 PM

I hafta give a huge vote for Springfield Armory XD pistols. I have the service model XD-40, awesome shooter, great fit, if you are unfamiliar with the safety features of them/Glock, they are even better should you be in a quickdraw situation. The service model isnt too bad to conceal with a shoulder holster. I am going to purchase a compact model in the near future though. I will be sticking with my 40 cal on it too. If anything aside from the Glock/XD I would look into a wheelgun for reliability though, but I have no doubts with my XD.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the imput, I would really like to have a 1911 but don't think I'll be able to afford a lightweight smaller framed model, so that's why that's out. And as far as the small framed pistols, I'm kinda looking at some "medium" (for lack of a better word) size because of comfort to shoot. The glock model I was looking at was the compact, not the subcompact. My cousin has the sub and it's just pretty small to take out and shoot for the day. I was also looking at around a 3.75-4 in. barrel as opposed to a really small one. I want a gun that's small enough that I can carry comfortably, but being that I am in law school right now and that's where I spend most of my time it'll probably be more of a home defense unless I'm traveling. FYI I have very small hands, and finding pistols is about the only thing they've helped me on, cause I have been able to shoot smaller pistols more comfortably then some of my family members.
For the money, SA XDs are great pistols. I don't own one, but they fit very well and are fun to shoot. You havefour sizes to choose from, so try them all out next time you're at the gun shop. People can buy more pricey hardware, but as long as youclean and lubean XD on aregular basis (and break it in properly), it'll do whatever you need a self-defensive ranges. Just keep the slide oiled...sometimes the finish will wear off prematurely if not properly maintained.

If you're looking for a 1911, the SA Mil-Specs are excellent pistols at very good prices. It's pretty no-frills, and close to the original, but it's also a lot of fun to shoot. Doesn't get much cheaper unless you buy lower quality foreign copies.