Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Pistol

Old 01-08-2007, 12:13 AM

Default New Pistol

I am looking at getting a new pistol here soon and I was just wondering what people think about the .40 S&W as a concealed carry caliber. I like the 9mm for the cheapness of shooting but I'd like to have something a little bigger. I have noticed though that .45's arn't availible in as many of the "compact" models I'm looking at. Right now I'm looking at a glock compact model, the Walther p99 compact model, and one of the S&W M&P pistols (they have a compact model on their website but haven't seen one out yet). Any experience with any of these pistols and/or calibers would be helpful. FYI I'm a 5'8 185 lb guy and I don't want something real big, but would like something bigger than my .380 that I have now. Thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 AM

Default RE: New Pistol

I myselfprefer a1911 with a few tweaks.
My cousin has 2 walthers. Great shooters.
Onehe abuses.One he uses as a paper weight on his headboard.
I am not big on S+W or Glocks. Just me and the feel.
I like the all steel Baby Eagle. It just feels right to me. Shoots good too.
Beretta 92 carries well.
A few kinfolk of mine have Springfield XDs. GREAT PISTOLS!!!I would look no further if I was in the market for a new sidearm.
A good used Colt Combat Commander is hard to beat if you can find one.

But to stay on track...Out of your choices I sayWalther.

I relate the .45ACP to a 1960's Big Block.
Theremay bebetter choices but the "shock" factor is unrivaled.
"There is no replacement for displacement."

Old 01-08-2007, 05:56 AM

I have a S&W SW40VE wich is like the M&P model but a little cheaper. I think it only comes in full size though. It is exactly like a Glock. Ive compared to to friends that have Glocks and its vert similar to a Glock Model 17 (i think thats the model). And i love the 40 cal. I have a 9MM and would not have any problem using it for protection. If you want a smaller frame id stick with a 9MM because of being cheaper to shoot and ease of getting ammo. If you get good ammo like the Remington Golden Saber +P you will have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

If you are using this pistol for carry, you should really look into a small frame pistol like a Kahr, or Kel-tek. A 9mm is fine for CCW but a .40 is a little better just more expensive to practice with. The most important thing to do is make sure the firearm fits you like a glove. Some of the small frame glocks etc... are just awkward to hold. they are thick, and provide no grip unless you get a mag extension.

i was looking at CC firearms this weekend and the kahr looked pretty nice. Just way to expensive. $509 for the 9mm. I wouldn't rule out revolvers either.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Glock 23 which is the midsize model in 40 S+W. I love it and highly recommend it. I should add though that I have small hands and the grips fit me nicely. If you have large hands it might be a little cramped. I would recommend finding a shop in your area that has rental guns and trying them out.I did that before I bought my glock and before I got my newest pistol, a kimber custom in 45. Good luck on your next purchase.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got 2 40s's and like them both. S&W Sigma 40and a H&K USP 40. If I was going to carry one of them the H&K would be it. Unfortunatly Illinois is one of the last few states that doesn't allow carrying concealed so at this time I can't.....
Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think the .40 S&W is an ideal cartridge for CCW pistols. It packs more ofa punchthan the 9mm but remains very manageable in terms of recoil. It's no surprise that many aw enforcement agencies have or are migrating to it. There are plenty of compact and subcompacts out there in that chambering, so chances are you'll find something that fits your need perfectly.

I don't really care for the 9mm as much, but it does make for a decent backup or deep cover pistolcartridge, and self-defense ammo has really improved over the years.

I carry an HK P2000 as my primary, and a Kahr K40 Covert and Steyr M40 on occasion. I like the P99 Compact but have only shot my friend's a few times here and there. I don't care for Glocks much, and I've seen some pictures of a few G22s that exploded after firing out of battery with the .40 S&W. Not cool. Keep in mind that Glocks were designed around the 9mm, and the chambers don't have enough support for the larger cartridges (IMHO).
Old 01-08-2007, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the imput, I would really like to have a 1911 but don't think I'll be able to afford a lightweight smaller framed model, so that's why that's out. And as far as the small framed pistols, I'm kinda looking at some "medium" (for lack of a better word) size because of comfort to shoot. The glock model I was looking at was the compact, not the subcompact. My cousin has the sub and it's just pretty small to take out and shoot for the day. I was also looking at around a 3.75-4 in. barrel as opposed to a really small one. I want a gun that's small enough that I can carry comfortably, but being that I am in law school right now and that's where I spend most of my time it'll probably be more of a home defense unless I'm traveling. FYI I have very small hands, and finding pistols is about the only thing they've helped me on, cause I have been able to shoot smaller pistols more comfortably then some of my family members.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just switched from a P95DC ruger(witch I liked alot)to a Kahr CW9.its a way nicer CCW then the Ruger as far as size goes and shoots very well.
I was at the gun shop on friday and noticed that alot of the CCW are moveing to the 40cal. Now Kahr has come out with the CW40,its identical to the CW9 and under 500.00.
Combat Handgun did a review on the CW40 in the March 07 issue and it was all positive...Now I think I will be buying a CW40 and useing the CW9 as backup.
O-how the wife loves me.....................
Old 01-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure if my information will help you?
My wife & Iowntwo Springfield Armory XD Tactical 40-s&w.
We shot Glock's &Beretta's before we bought the XD's. We both just liked the Springfield Armory pistols better.
The XD Tactical maybe a little large forC.C. on your hip?
We bought ours for traveling in the car & home defense on the headboard.

Quick Reply: New Pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.