Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Your Favorite Handgun >

Your Favorite Handgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Your Favorite Handgun

Old 12-03-2006, 06:31 PM

Default RE: Your Favorite Handgun

This may be a little off topic, but I have a quick question. I'm going to get myself a CCW gun for myself on my next birthday. I was thinking along the lines of a gun that I could do some target shooting with, carry along during the summer for wolves, mountain lions, and grizzlies (only as a last resort, after pepper spray for the bears) in the wilderness, and use for general self defense. Any suggestions on models/calibers that I should take a look at? Would a .45 ACP chambered in a 1911 be enough medicine for bears? Any input is appreciated.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wanting one handgun to fill your need as a daily CCW and a hiking/woods gun just really doesn't work too wel. You really have one or the other. Generally speaking yeah one could carry a 1911 in case of bear or whatever else is out there but generally, one has a compact model for actual concealed carry and then a different usually more powerful gun for any bear needs. This is all generally speking of course. myself, well, I feel fine in the woods even without one so maybe I'm not the one to give pertainant advice on this.
Funny, everyone is always concerned about these bear attacks yet I rarely ever hear of anyone actually getting attacked by one. If you're venturing into an area known to be possibly dangerous and maybe even life threatening, simple avoid that area. You best defence is common sence.

Ok, that all said, back to the thread topic...I'd say as a woods gun, my favorite would be my Ruger/Acusport Bisley chambered in .45 Colt.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just got done with my testing today,I used my P95 ruger.He had alot of differant handguns there.so I looked at the glock 17,19,29,he had CZ's,1911,sigarms,S&W,springfield,taurus,beret ta and afew more.Anyway I got looking into the takedown of the glock,I for one do not like the idea of having to dryfire the glock to take it down,he said many of people have shot themselfs because of they way it takes down,you have to be O so carefull.Also ask him about the Kahr,he said it was a good handgun and left it at that.he is a big Glock fan.anyway testing went great and now Iam good for afew yrs.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Timber Ghost. Take a look at the Titanium Taurus or S&W 44 Mag. They are not small but the are very light and easy to carry and may be as close as you can get to a gun for carry and defense in the wild. My 4 Inch Taurus is just 26 oz. Same weight as the glock 22.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

as for CW wy,thats your choise,as for grizzly a 460 or 500,better yet a shotgun.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:41 PM
Spike

Not having any4legged threats here in Florida , my CCW needs are met via a Series 70 Colt Combat Commander in .45 colt.
Fine shooter .
Old 12-03-2006, 08:13 PM

Ranger, what idiot attempts to take down any gun while it's loaded, Glock or other? Some people are a danger to themselves and don't need a gun, knife or any thing else. Every one should know to drop the mag, and rack the slide on a simi auto before any maintaince. Having to dri fire the Glock before takedown isn't the least bit dangerous, as long as it's unloaded first, as all guns should be!
Old 12-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

. . .mountain lions, and grizzlies . . Any suggestions on models/calibers that I should take a look at? Would a .45 ACP chambered in a 1911 be enough medicine for bears? Any input is appreciated.
I would look at a big single action. Ruger SA's are nice in like 45Colt or maybe a custom in 475 Linebaugh or 480 ruger. You can get the Redhawk in 480 ruger from the factory. Also S&W makes the 500 S&W in a 4", but I'm not sure you could get me to fire it even if my life was on the line.

For a packing gun, for grizzlies, I think the best compromise is one of those S&W 4" 44mags, a Ruger Bisley 45 Colt or if money allows, a Ruger SA converted to 475 Liebaugh with a bisley grip frame and a 5.5" tube.

Yea, you should get the 1911, but it is kind of a city gun. You couldget a 45 Super barrel fitted and have a little more oomph, but Grizzlies can shake of those light guns.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

Funny, everyone is always concerned about these bear attacks yet I rarely ever hear of anyone actually getting attacked by one. If you're venturing into an area known to be possibly dangerous and maybe even life threatening, simple avoid that area. You best defence is common sence.
Bear attacks (grizzlies) occur almost yearly here in WY. Bear encounters occur frequently. The grizzlies here are federally protected. Thus, they never get hunted, so some of them don't fear humans as much as they should. But I'm more worried about lions when I'm fishing by myself in the mountains.

A good dog would work even better than a gun or pepper spray, but at this point in my life, I don't have the time or money to properly care for one, or anywhere to keep it for that matter.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep it in mind when I start shopping.
[/quote]
Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

fornra......
the DEA agent in the vidio that shot himself while giving a talk to a 4th grade class....thats who. he was going to takedown his glock.The ? remains.Why do you have to show a 4th grade class how to field strip a glock....
yes there are alot of idiots out there..........