Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Which handgun?

Old 01-18-2007, 09:33 PM
c j
Typical Buck

Default Which handgun?

Ruger(Super)RedHawkor S&W 629 (or older 29)?

I'm looking to maybe get into a centerfire handgun that I can possibly use for hunting. I love the Black Hawk, too, but I think I want a double-action.

Is the Red Hawk built as solid as the Black Hawk? I've heard great stuff on how the Black Hawk can handle loads that others can't, but I wasn't sure if that's true for the RH, too.

Is the S&W 629 built as solid as either of the Rugers?Any difference inaccuracy or resale?Do they cost about the same?

Also, I guess I was mostly looking at a 44 magnum, but what about a 41? Any advantages to going with that round instead?

Any help would be appreciated as I'm more of a rifle/bow guy and not real 'up' on handguns. Thanks guys.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which handgun?

S&W will be more accurate, Ruger can handle a heavier load. Redhawk and Blackhawk are both over built. You will not tear one up. If hunting is your goal, then go with the S&W. If carry only, with less concern about accuracy then go with Blackhawk. I do not care for the Redhawks or Super Redhawks. Too heavy for carry, and will not shoot with the Smith.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:00 AM

Ilike theSuper Redhawk/2x Leupold 44mag. It is big and heavy, but not too big and heavy. To me a hunting hangun is to be used alone and not as a backup. So I put comfort carry at the bottom of my list.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My deerhuntin pistol is the 629 in 44mg,my CW's are all autos.I like the grip better on the S & W over the Ruger.
Iam also Lookingfor a good used 626, 357mg.I miss the one I had back in the early 80's.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:05 AM

Well, I'm very fond of Ruger's pistols/revolvers, so I'm gonna say go with the Super Redhawk, I had one in .454 Casull/45 Colt, and it was a very strong gun, and held up great to stout .454 loads.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:44 AM

I have had both 41and 44in both smith and rugerto me its a no brainer to go with the smith ,but that is your choice as tothe one you are going to be comfortable with. Good luck in your choice, what ever it will be it is the right one for you.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

RSRH a really well built gun, cheaper, and no real world difference in hunting performance!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I own both models you are asking about. Don't let anyone tell you that Rugers won't shoot. I have a SBH with a 2x leupold scope that is my go to pistol when hunting. It will shoot as good as my Smith's. I have had the action polished and tuned and that helped a lot. I see you are in South Dakota, if you aren't in a hurry I will be back to MN this spring. I will be selling my SBH because I also have a Freedom Arms .454 that is what I use now and have no more use for the SBH.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:50 PM

WWhunter is right. Rugers will usually shoot very well. I've had both. The first handgun I hunted with was an 8 3/8 nickel plated 29. It was moderately accurate but shot loose after about 1500 rounds. I shimmed the cylinder, set the barrel back,replaced the hammer, trigger, rebound slide, mainspring & strut,trued the yoke,and it shot great after that. Lots of trouble and money though.
I bought a Redhawk in 1983 when they were introduced and it shot great and is a more rugged handgun. I still have it and it's been loaned out a lot, dropped, re-blued, and had about 4500 rounds through it. I shot it about 2 years ago and it still shoots well.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew I was going to stir the pot a bit when I said that S&W would out shoot Ruger. But I really do believe that. I also do believe that Ruger's are a stronger built pistol. If, as Ranger said you shoot1000's of rounds, you probably wil shoot a S&W loose if you use heavy loads all the time. I only shoot heavy loads for hunting. I shoot a slower load for practice, and have never had a problem with my S&W.

I also believe S&W gives a shooter more options. You can get your cake and eat it to. Short barrels, long barrels, stainless, blued, titanium, ported, non-ported, trigger is definitely superior, lots of custom shop options.

I have a S&W Stealth Hunter from the Performance Center. It shoots and handles like a dream. Tom.

Quick Reply: Which handgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.