Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Questions About My New Savage .375 H&H

Old 11-26-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Questions About My New Savage .375 H&H

I took my new Savage Alaskan Guide Gun out to the range today. I don't have a scope on it yet, but I managed to shoot a 3" group at 50 yards with the iron sights. At 100 yards, I kept them all within about 8 inches. I figured that was good enough with iron sights.

There are three areas I think that need improvment:
1- Mount my Nikon 2-7x scope
I would like to keep my iron sights, so I would like a quick release scope mounting system. The Savage action is very LONG, and my Nikon 2-7x is rather compact. I will probably need an extension ring or base. Recommendations?

2- Find a replacement stock
The factory stock leaves much to be desired, and smacks my cheek pretty hard. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket stock, that won't break the bank?

3- Improve the trigger
This is the first Savage rifle I've owned. Are the regular Savage triggers adjustable? If not, can someone recommend a good after market trigger?

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions About My New Savage .375 H&H

Regular Savage triggers are adjustable to a certain degree....There used to be a guy on here years ago who went my the name "mounting man" ( he was a taxidermist among other things)
He once sent me a copy (by e-mail) of directions of how to do it yourself.
If i can find it I'll send it to you.
I'm not aware of what after-market trigger would be best for a savage.
I've had good luck with my several Timney's, but one still needs top be "slicked up"
Old 11-27-2006, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions About My New Savage .375 H&H

Boyds makes a nice supposed drop in stock for it, however it will need some tweeking by a gunsmith for proper fit(~$150). As for the trigger I took both of my Savages to my gunsmith and with some minor adjustments and stoneing it is almost as light and crisp as my timney replacement triggers