Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Questions on Savage Model 11 >

Questions on Savage Model 11

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Questions on Savage Model 11

Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Questions on Savage Model 11

Well, I am new to bolt action rifles, and started out with a used one. I saw it at a Gander Mountain on the used gun rack, and it just seemed to call to me. It's chambered in .223 Remington, with the standard sporter contour barrel. I have dicided it is an older model, since it doesn't have the Accu-Trigger. I have put 60 rounds through it so far and it seems to be very accurite, as I had several sets of two shots in the same hole.

So, now on to the questions.

If you look at the stats for the current 11G on Savage's website, it says that the mag capacity is four rounds. Mine seemed to handle five rounds okay though. So, question number one is, could it be that the older model I have has a higher capacity mag? And if it is in fact a four-rounder, it shouldn't load five at all right? Will it hurt it to do so? It functioned okay, chambered the rounds just fine.

Separate from that, my rifle seemed to jam up the third round every once in a while. Perhaps one mag out of four, the second or third round would hang up as if hitting metal in the front of the reciever. Trying a few more times to chamber it without doing anything but moving the bolt failed, and I removed the round and carefully looked at the jacketed hollow point. I saw no marks, scapes or dents to indicate that the bullet itself was hitting anything. I placed the round back in the top of the mag, and it would not chamber still. I set it aside, and the nexxt round went in just fine. Perhaps five minutes later I tried the faulty round again, and it worked just fine. Does anyone have an explaination for this?

Moving to the trigger, I found it's pull very light. I have no means to measure it, but it was lighter than my Springfield XD 9mm. As this is not an Accu-Trigger, does this mean it's an aftermarket trigger? I did't think so, since the different parts look just like in Savage's book and on the website.

This one is about barrel heat. I noticed after shooting perhaps fifteen rounds in ten minutes or less that the barrel was hot to the touch along it's whole length. I know heat is bad, but is this too much heat? Would an aftermarket heavy barrel help me with this? I'm going to do most or all of my shooting from a bench or bipod, so the weight doesn't matter to me.

Also, on http://www.savageparts.com/barrels.html would this barrel fit my action? 104608 223/26 HVR S Target 223 M 26 9 Heavy Varmint $226.00

And finally, this is the only thing that really makes me think it shouldn't be so. When running the bolt back and forth with no rounds in the gun, the bolt hangs with a little more resistance about half way closed, moving both in and out. It seems to loosen after maybe ten times closing and opening the bolt, but then it comes right back. The chrome of the bolt is a little cloudy, maybe with corrosion? Does it need polished up maybe? Or could it be in the guide rails for the bolt lugs?

Thanks for helping me out, I'm trying to learn all I can. If anyone needs more info about the gun, just ask and I can go grab it. I can also take pictures, perhaps tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:25 PM

Default RE: Questions on Savage Model 11

Anybody have a comment?
Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 PM

Picture of my baby:

Old 09-19-2005, 05:12 PM

I hate to make another post, but does anyone know how I can get rid of that plastic front ramp?