Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Bear backup... >

Bear backup...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bear backup...

Old 11-23-2002, 07:01 AM

Default RE: Bear backup...

Brown bear back up question: For the 6 years I lived and hunted in the Alaskan bush I went thru the 44 mag idea and the more I was around the Brownies the more I learned. Most, but now all brown bears will leave you alone if you leave them alone. Understanding brown bear behavior and staying out of their way is the best advise. However, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you have to defend your life I would look at these facts. A brown bear is not easy to kill quickly. Most people are going to be to excited to aim a pistol sucessfully enough to stop a bear fast. A brown bear can and will do a lot of damage to a human in a very short time. These bear sprays now on the market may be the way to go. Didn't have them when I was up there so don't know much about them. If using a firearm I would suggest getting as much lead into the bear as fast as possible. I used a 12ga. pump shotgun with the barrel and stock shortened, but still legal, and full of slugs. I had a sling on it and could carry it and still do other things(but didn't try shooting a bow). I do of a guy that shot a brown bear in the head with a 44 mag and the bullet bounced off the skull. Sat the bear on his butt and he did leave but even the guy said that the bear was more curious than mad. Anyway, hope some of this helps you make the proper choices and good luck on your hunt. Alaska can not be beat for hunting experiences.
Old 12-06-2002, 01:59 PM

Get a ruger super blackhawk 44mag and buy some 330gr superhardcast bullets from garrett
Old 12-06-2002, 06:05 PM

If you're facing half a ton of angry bear why would you handicap yourself with the .44? Sounds like somebody has a secret fantasy of being a bear snack. I would put my money on the .454casull or if you have a REALLY BIG set, try the Magnum Research .45-70BFR. I would chose the .454Casull or .475Linebaugh.They will give a little more control and with cast bullets will provide plenty of penetration.