Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Which .44 Bullet for Backup in Bear Country? >

Which .44 Bullet for Backup in Bear Country?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which .44 Bullet for Backup in Bear Country?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which .44 Bullet for Backup in Bear Country?

What bullet and load combination would you carry in a .44 Mag pistol as backup in bear country and why? Here a couple I've been looking closely at:
Hornady - .44 CAL 300 GR HP/XTP (not a partitioned bullet) Hornady sells these Muzzle Velocity: 1150 fps
Muzzle Energy: 881 ft. lbs.

Winchester - .44 CAL 250 GR Partition GoldĀ® (partitioned controlled expansion and bullet weight retention) Velocity in Feet Per Second (fps)
Muzzle 1230 FPS
50 1132 "
100 1057 "
Energy in Foot Pounds (ft-lbs.)
Muzzle 840
100 620

Thoughts I have. Hornady 300 gr bullet is 20% weight; however, it's not partitioned or specifically designed for weight retention upon hitting heavy boned heavy game. Or at least I don't see them speak in those terms. It's actually slightly less "energy" than the Winchester Partition Gold 250 gr factory rounds. Hornady is a well respected name in ammuntion though without a doubt.

Winchester Partition Gold 250 gr is design for controlled "pettle" expantion and bullet weight retention. Both of which I've read it does well. Question I have: Is 250 gr. bullet a substantial enough bullet at say 50 yds or less in .44 Mag handgun as a backup weapon in bear (black and Grizzly) country.
Why or why not you'd use either or another combination, if you were the person depending upon it stopping a bear?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Which .44 Bullet for Backup in Bear Country?

I myself would carry 300gr XTP with 19gr of H110 or

310gr TrueShot GC Hard Cast with 18gr of H110

Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Question I have: Is 250 gr. bullet a substantial enough bullet at say 50 yds or less in .44 Mag handgun as a backup weapon in bear (black and Grizzly) country.
250 gr. bullet is plenty! Here's what you do; fire 3 shots in the air so your buddies will know where to look for your remains, 1 shot at the bear so they can say you tried (at the funeral), last shot in your head because you don't want to be taken prisoner by a P.O.'d grizz.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CZ2506

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Question I have: Is 250 gr. bullet a substantial enough bullet at say 50 yds or less in .44 Mag handgun as a backup weapon in bear (black and Grizzly) country.
250 gr. bullet is plenty! Here's what you do; fire 3 shots in the air so your buddies will know where to look for your remains, 1 shot at the bear so they can say you tried (at the funeral), last shot in your head because you don't want to be taken prisoner by a P.O.'d grizz.
As noted, NO handgun is much protection against a bear, particularly a big, mean one! The best shot to take is right on the end of the nose when the bear is facing you at close quarters on all fours. The bullet will travel up the nasal passage into the brain. DON"T shoot high! The bullet will just glance off the sloping skull and over the varmint's back! Hit the nose!

For this use, a .357 is just as effective as a .44 Mag. Use a flatnose hard-cast bullet of at least 250-grains weight,like the Keith 429421 or one of the wide flatnose LBT Cast-Performance types. I know of no factory-loaded handgun ammo that is as good as one of these in a handload.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:32 AM

it is a companion nonetheless and sure beats a stick. I have carried my handgun(s) for some 34 yrs or so and have never needed to defend myself with it on any bear black or the interior grizz.

I carry in my .44's 325 gr. WLNGC Beartooth bullets for penetration pure and simple.

In my 45 LC Bisley 345 gr.WLNGC Beartooth bullets again for the same reason.

In my Casull that I recently parted out with shooting 345/360 gr. Beartooth bullets

do you see the trend? Bears get big and the bones get denser and if wounded in close will mostly likely be a "fight to the finish" if you can survive and the bullet must be heavy to penetrate to do a seemingly hopeless job.

All big and heavy bullets require alot more control than 250/265/280 or even 300grn bullets. Shooting alot means a chance to survive, you must practice all the time I believe to have a chance when the time ever comes. I make a lifestyle of living in the foothills of the Brooks Range and most times a long gun is most practical and nearly in hand most of the time.

Bears move with incredible speed and with power and also with a fierce drive to overcome and survive.

The best protection is what is between your ears. If you carry a handgun shoot it alot and carry it well.

hope I didn't get carried away on my first post
good day
Old 07-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: grizz007

it is a companion nonetheless and sure beats a stick. I have carried my handgun(s) for some 34 yrs or so and have never needed to defend myself with it on any bear black or the interior grizz.

I carry in my .44's 325 gr. WLNGC Beartooth bullets for penetration pure and simple.

In my 45 LC Bisley 345 gr.WLNGC Beartooth bullets again for the same reason.

In my Casull that I recently parted out with shooting 345/360 gr. Beartooth bullets

do you see the trend? Bears get big and the bones get denser and if wounded in close will mostly likely be a "fight to the finish" if you can survive and the bullet must be heavy to penetrate to do a seemingly hopeless job.

All big and heavy bullets require alot more control than 250/265/280 or even 300grn bullets. Shooting alot means a chance to survive, you must practice all the time I believe to have a chance when the time ever comes. I make a lifestyle of living in the foothills of the Brooks Range and most times a long gun is most practical and nearly in hand most of the time.

Bears move with incredible speed and with power and also with a fierce drive to overcome and survive.

The best protection is what is between your ears. If you carry a handgun shoot it alot and carry it well.

hope I didn't get carried away on my first post
good day
Great advice! I agree 100% with this!
Old 07-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

The 44 Mag is a very good back-up gun. I don't believe anyone is recommending it as the primary gun for a Grizzly hunt. The 44 Mag has taken every species of critter on the planet.

I also would use the LBT style 300 or 325 grain cast bullet. For a non cast bullet for defense against critters, I would use the 300 Hornady XTP. Garret has some real bear loads for the 44 Mag.