Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need first hand info on lightfield slugs

Old 10-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need first hand info on lightfield slugs

I did a search but not much came up. I am thinking about useing lightfield hybred exp's out of my 20ga for deer this year. I was wondering if anybody had any first hand info,good or bad about these or any of lightfield's slugs?
Old 10-27-2006, 01:14 PM

Default RE: Need first hand info on lightfield slugs

I used lightfeilds for two years. Accuracy I hear is superb, but I wouldn't know because I wasn't wise enough back then to know that a clean, and I mean Clean, barrel can make a world of difference with some slug guns. I didn't use whatever their new sabot is...IDS. I used "lightfield hybreds" that's all I know...they may not have been the exps, but I don't think they make too many different offers. Anyways, onto the review. First deer didn't give me any idea on how the sabots performed terminally. The second one was quartering hard towards me at 70 yards. It went through both lungs, missed the heart and all bones. I recovered about 4 pieces of lead that wieghed about 250gr (a 1 1/4 slug starts at around 550 I think) near the far side of the lung. To me, at 70 yards and no bone that slug should've ate its lunch and kept on marching...but the deer did fall less than 100 yards from where I shot it.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

My bro uses them, the hybreds EXP in 12 gauge. He's been using them for 3 years now, he shot 5 deers during the 3 years and every deer he shot drop in thier tracks. I would like to use them but I only have a smoothie and hasn't failed me yetso I'm not changing any time soon.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:25 PM
cas

In the couple H&R's and Mossberg SSI I've tried them in, we got great accuracy for a "cheap" (for sabot) slugs.

Slug guns are like .22 LR's, some guns like some brands/styles, some don't. Try and see.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I used the 20 gauge EXP's last year to drop an eight pointer.
Twenty five yards away, from a treestand. I hit him right through the heart and lungs. He ran 30 yards and folded up like a chair!

The slug did NOT pass through, which I found very odd considering how close he was. I didn't skin him out so I never did recover the lead.

The gun is a Remington LT-20 semi auto with a Bushnell 3x9 40mm scope.
It shoots 2" groups at 50 yards, set at 1" highand 6"-7" groups at 100.