Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Lightfield Slugs

Old 12-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lightfield Slugs

In the past two years I have shot two good sized bucks at close (40 yards) and very close (15 yards) rangewith the Lightfield 20 gauge EXP's. In both instances the slugs did not pass through. Both deer dropped within 50 yards of being hit and both were double lungor heart and double lung shots.

Has anyone else had this type of performance from Lightfields? Or is it just a 20 gauge thing? These are by far the most accurate slugs in my gun and I don't see any reason to change.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Lightfield Slugs

Yes. 12gauge. 75yard quartering hard towards me. No bones hit and still recovered several lil chunks of the slug next to the skin on the far side. There was no exit. Went on a dead run for another 75 yards and piled up. I had clipped his trachea as well as taken a lung/heart out.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

I ve had a couple 20ga slugs not pass through but the deer hasnt made it far always in sight win BRI i found in the skin on the other side and it was a 30 yard quartering away i also had a partition gold stick in the of skin on a 80 yard shot then pass through at 150 yards both broadside and not hiting any noticeable bone ive had the same thing happen with my muzzle loader but in all cases the blood trial has been easy to see

Old 12-08-2006, 04:27 PM

Light fields ARE THE ONLY THING i SHOOT OUT MY 20. My expierence's are the same as yours as far ae penetration goes. I've yet to have a deer go more than 50yds after being hit, a few dropped in their tracks. On longer shots say 80-100yds I've had pass throughs, the short shots I have yet to get a pass through. I think as the bullet slows down the penetration increases probably do to less bullet expansion. Every year I buy the latest and greatest slugs to try, and I always end back where I started shooting the lightfields.

ORIGINAL: Bowflex

In the past two years I have shot two good sized bucks at close (40 yards) and very close (15 yards) rangewith the Lightfield 20 gauge EXP's. In both instances the slugs did not pass through. Both deer dropped within 50 yards of being hit and both were double lungor heart and double lung shots.

Has anyone else had this type of performance from Lightfields? Or is it just a 20 gauge thing? These are by far the most accurate slugs in my gun and I don't see any reason to change.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 12-10-2006, 05:47 PM

I shot a nice size deer at 25 yards took out the shoulder and the slug was under the skin o nthe oppisent side with my 12 gauge. The deer only went 15 yards and droped. I like the litefield when I have a close shot 50 yards and under but for longe range i shoot a the brenneke rottweiler 3" mag golden they are 600 grains and i have shot thru both sholders at 100 yards and found it burried in a tree.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

i was lucky to fire these rounds first in my rifled moss.835.
first buck i shot was at i'd say 40 rds. right dead center in the brisket. ran about 30-40 yrds and collapsed. round stayed in the thoracic cavity (nice) and chewed up the lungs bad.

this year shot 2 yearlings. one dropped emediately from a front shoulder/lung hit. the other the bullet actually passed through both lungs, it was a small doe. both shot within 50 yrds and died very wuickly.

these bullets are very accurate and seem to use up all there energy quickly which is nice. plus they are the cheapest bullets you can buy at gander mountain i've notice.

just for the record i use the 3" commanders and will never change.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: meat_eater

I shot a nice size deer at 25 yards took out the shoulder and the slug was under the skin o nthe oppisent side with my 12 gauge. The deer only went 15 yards and droped. I like the litefield when I have a close shot 50 yards and under but for longe range i shoot a the brenneke rottweiler 3" mag golden they are 600 grains and i have shot thru both sholders at 100 yards and found it burried in a tree.
WOW
now thats a round bro
Old 12-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightfields are made not to have a complete passthru, but are made sothat all the energy destroys the taget (tissue) this what kills, not a passthru
Old 12-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

One of my hunting buddies only uses Lightfields in his 20 gauge (NEF single-shot, rifled barrel, 2 X 7 scope). He's taken many deer with this combo, but usually doesn't get pass-throughs. Last year he shot a nice 8 point buck at 110 yards - right through the shoulder - killed it almost instantly, but the bullet did not exit the other side.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the feedback. I am perfectly happy with the accuracy and the terminal performance. However, in a hunting round I would like a pass through for the blood trail. If the round doesn't knock the animal down at the short ranges I have shot at, then I want a hole through and through.

Because I hunt public land with most shots less than 80 yards I will stick with the Lightfields. A thin copperjacket around that 7/8 oz. hunk of lead would make it perfect for deer and bigger game.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex

Quick Reply: Lightfield Slugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.