Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 why do you practice so much >

why do you practice so much

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:45 PM
DM

Default RE: why do you practice so much

I guess i just can't help it????

DM
Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not that difficult to shoot a gun with a scope.
Yep. you should try shoting a NRA rimfire silhouette course. A scoped .22 and targets about the size of the palm of your hand at 50 yards should be easy, right? If scoped rifles aren't challnging enough, try High Power Rifle, where you get to shoot up to 600 yards with iron sights, all without the crutch of a shooting bench piled with sandbags.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Some of you are over the top on practicing.
Do you really need to shoot that much. I could see if you were shooting 500 yds regularly you would want to learn your gun. But why buy a magnum and then shoot a 100yds a 1000 times a month. Jeeeeeeez
I learned to shoot a gun a long time ago, i havent forgoten. I go to the range check sight in and call it good. I regularly shoot deer 200 +yds without a hitch and I never "practice"My 9 year old son made a 195 yd shot on a deer last year. Do you find it that difficult to shoot or what ?
I hit them right in the neckif within a 125 yds
Its not that difficult to shoot a gun with a scope. Why so much practicing.
Even with my bow I only take it out before season and practice a little and take a few shots at deer camp. some bowhunters just keep shooting and shooting and shooting. Why ?
My gun and bow are just a tool, and I am very proficient with both
Now if you just like to blast gun powder,,, OK say that. But practicing ?

Because people rely on me every single day to make critical decisions involving firearms in populated areas. So, it would be irresponsible of me to not be mentally and physically prepared in every way possible to do my job the best way I can with as little risk as possible.

It takes practice in order to become automatic beyond the zero range of your rifle.

If you think you are automatic beyond 200 yards without practice than you are either ignorant or a lier.

Very few people understand how to shoot in crosswinds, updrafts in steep canyons and other variables that can only be compensated for with tons of practice.

I"m automatic to 350 yards with less than a 10 mph crosswind but not without a ton of practice.

Practice makes perfect and perfect is the goal.

But I will admit if I didn't do it for work I probably wouldn't shoot as much but I do love it. It's soo much fun.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot as much as I would like to this year, but once I have my range set up you can bet that I’ll be shooting at least once a week because I like to...
Old 10-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my shots are within 100 yards so I practice always offhanded and at weird angles and shooting positions. Besides that I just like to blast powder
Old 10-21-2006, 02:02 PM

many of us "practice" as a away to have fun but also to become more ethical hunters.
-while its true that you, and most of us as a generality could put one in the x ring at 200 yards, under normal deer hunting conditions, but thats in your "comfort zone", think about when you see a trophy buck one day but the shot is just a little bit different, or somehting isnt 100% normal or controlled as you are used to, and you miss. smooth move. thats why.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 AM

Aint but one reason to practice anything. To get better.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's not just "practicing" to throw lead down range. You need to practice the same way you perform. Hunting positions, hunting conditions, off your daypack, offhand, in the wind, in the morning, in the evening, run 200 yards then shoot etc etc.

then you must mentally prepare yourself. Visualize the shot you're going to make. Visualize the success you will have because you prepared so well.