Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practice. "We talkin' bout PRACTICE?!" >

Practice. "We talkin' bout PRACTICE?!"

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practice. "We talkin' bout PRACTICE?!"

Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Practice. "We talkin' bout PRACTICE?!"

As most of us know, it is wise to practice like you're in a hunting situation. Wear you're bulky hunting clothes, shoot from a tree stand, practice every shot that could present itself, and know you're equipment.

So, how many of you practice with the SAME broadheads that you will be HUNTING with when the season rolls around? Do you have designated "practice heads", or do you use THEE broadheads that will be with you in the woods come hunting season?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Practice. "We talkin' bout PRACTICE?!"

I have a couple junk Rocket mechs of the same style that I will use just to confirm what I have found for the last 12 years of using them.....That they fly exactly like my field points. when i reconfirm that they get put away and it's back to field points until it's go time.

With my recurve and longbow I WILL shoot the heads I intend to hunt with because I resharpen them. So they get the snot shot out of them and then resharpened for game day. It's mentally very different too for some reason drawing a broadhead back to your hand on a traditional bow than it is on a compound. Just having that broadhead on there takes some getting used to so I will practice religiously with broadheads for the last month before the season starts with them.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

For years I have always taken a couple of heads and desiginated them practice heads.

Dan
Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have two retired NAP Crossfire broadheads that I use for target practice, one has been through three deer and needed a retirement plan
Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

you cant be with allen iverson on archery

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

I practice mainly with 100 gr. field heads. Every now and then i throw in my rage 2 blade practice head. there is a tine bit of diff.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I practice with a couple of the same broadheads that I hunt with, but not the exact ones.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll shoot my heads with some old blades then when its time to hunt i will put on a sharp new setof blades
Old 07-25-2008, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

you cant be with allen iverson on archery

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
You just couldn't resist it could you??????

I do shoot heads that WILL go to the woods, and if they are still sharp after a couple run throughs on FOAM, then they don't even get resharpened. If they need resharpened, I re-edge them, and off we go. If you get the one BH taht snuck by QC and it doesn't fly well, then you'll be kicking yourself as you watch that 170" Booner trot away unharmed because the arrow flew crazily off!!!! NO THANKS, I'll stick with what I know.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

So, how many of you practice with the SAME broadheads that you will be HUNTING with when the season rolls around? Do you have designated "practice heads", or do you use THEE broadheads that will be with you in the woods come hunting season?
I do not use the same exact arrow and BH for hunting and practicing. I'd never get my Snuffers sharp enough if I did that. Its not the reason I do it like this though. To me there's no need to do it like this. My practice arrows are always tipped with the same brand of BH's I'll be hunting with, I don't practice with field tips.

When it comes to choosing the arrows/BH's for hunting only I'll spin test them on my finger nail and pick the best one as my #1 arrow/BH combo. If it spins on my finger nail good I can guarantee it will fly just as good as well when released from my recurve. My quiver holds 4 arrows. The best spinning arrow is my #1 arrow and so on and so on down the line till my quiver is full.

Quick Reply: Practice. "We talkin' bout PRACTICE?!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.