Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 T C Encore hunting pistols >

T C Encore hunting pistols

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

T C Encore hunting pistols

Old 10-16-2006, 12:17 AM

Default T C Encore hunting pistols

I was hoping to get a little info concerning the T C Encore Pistols. I have wanted one for several years. I have recently had surgery on my neck, and there is a chance I will not be able to shoulder any of my rifles for Modern Gun season.............sooooooo.... I can see no better time to get one....I mean , I DO NEED IT, right?

So anyway, I would not be taking any shots over 200 yds. with it. I was thinking the stainless with the rubber. I believe the barrels are 15 " in length. I would also scope it out.

Now here is the rub for me... I have thought about the .243 and the 7mm-08. I am not sure what else there may be in between those, but I don't want a lot of recoil out of it. It would help me on follow up shots if needed. Would the .243 still work out to 200 from a 15 inch barrel? If not then what is the minimum cal. you would go with?

And finally, without breaking the bank, who makes a decent EER compact scope , like a 3-9 , to fit it?

BTW - anyone have an idea of what this setup will cost me out the door?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: T C Encore hunting pistols

In most places a new Encore pistol will run 500-600 dollars. Barrels run from 200-250 dollars. I am looking at a 7mm-08 or 308. The recoil will be stout but managable. Through Fox Ridge Outfitters, you can get almost any caliber you want. I would go with the 250 Savage as a minimum. All jokes aside, the 30-30 barrel is quite effective on deer out to 200 yards and recoil is not bad at all. You can expect about 2100 fps with the 15 inch Encore barrel with a 150 grain bullet. 257 Roberts would be another good one.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 AM

Well, I am unsure about one thing, I never liked the 30-30 as a 200 yard cartridge in a full size gun. The ballistics are terrible. Drop between 125 - 200 yards stinks. So I do not think I could even consider it here in this situation.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:21 AM

If you reload, the 30-30 would probably be a very nice choice.

By reloading, you avoid the commercial, flat tipped bullets that come in all commercially available rounds I know of due to the lever gun tube mag.

By reloading, you have a wide choice of very efficient, "Pointy" bullets and can achieve some excellent ballistics.

I have a rifle and just came by a bare frame at a good price, now just shopping for the barrel and grips. Then I'll have a matching set, rifle and pistol.

My personal choice would be to lean towards the 308, but may to w/ the 243 or 30-30.

Hank
Old 10-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

I have an blued Encore pistol in 308. I like it. The recoil isn't bad. I have shot a 30-06 barrel before and it kicked a little bit more. I have a 2X7 T/C scope on mine which does the job. Where I hunt I usually only shoot under 100 yards.
I bought my pistol and scope for $425 used which was a real good deal. I just saw a blued 308 pistol for sale on another forum for $425 I think. It had a trigger job and base and rings. If you're interested let me know, I'll get the guys email for you.
I would say stick with a 308 or 7mm-08 if you'd like to shoot out to 200 yards.

Mike
Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

In the 15 inch barrel, the 30-30 performs very well because I don't care if you use a bucket for a casing, only SO MUCH POWDER will burn in a 15 inch tube. Any more is just noise and smoke. Also in the single shot, guess what? You no longer use the flat point bullet that you need in a tubular magazine. A friend of mine has taken twenty or so trophy caribou and deer with Contender in 30-30. As you go up in cartridge size, you don't gain much velocity. The old 30 Herret which we made by cutting a half inch of the 30-30 case got more velocity than the 30-30 because it could then burn nearly all the powder.

The 308 and 7mm-08 are probably the two best full size casings for the encore but the recoil will be much more than the 30-30 and the gain will be less than most expect. The Encore is made much better by reloading and by useing some of the cartridges designed for 10-14 inch barrels. The Herrets and JDJ's.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just did a little more checking. The Encore would also be available in the 7MM BR and factory made brass is available. It would be a reloading proposition however. The 7-30 Waters is also an excellent hunting cartridge.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:55 PM

Well, I just had a flash back to a magazine ad I have seen, where someone is loading a 30 -30 with tipped bullets. I may have to do a search. With what you all have said, I might need to rethink. Now one thing I can set aside is the reloading. I don't reload. So anything I did would be factory loads.

I did find a used savage striker today in 308. The gun has a simmons 2 x 20 on it and they wanted 350 out the door. I was not super impressed with it though. I like the TC build and style better.Seeing the savagereminds me of the old rem. xp-100. Left handed bolt throw is a problem. I am about as left handed as I am a circus clown. I think that is why I lean to the TC.

I did check on the encore though. I can do the stainless with rubber for 550. I know I can do a G2 for about 100. less. If the 30-30 specs can pull the weight, it might be my best option. I will say that if I look it up for specs, there should not be much of a disparity with what is written for it. In the old 336 I think it had an 18 inch barrell. And in the tc it would be a 14 or 15 inch.

I appreciate everyones input. You gave me something to chew on for a bit. I need to find out about those tippedbullets and who is loading them, and what their specs are now.

Thanks guys. I'll holler back when I get a better idea of whats going on and tell ya where I'm headed.

God Bless

Old 10-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the ammo you are talking about is the Hornady tipped ammo. I have not used it but have heard mostly good reports. One drawback to the G2 is that so far, nobody makes a rubber grip for them. I have heard that there will be one soon. This is a must for me. If you find an older Contender(not G2), you can get good synthetic grips for those. Good Luck.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:55 PM

Hold the phones.... I just broke back into reality. With all the pain meds I am on, sometimes I just cant think. I can get the gun in a few other calibers than I thought. I had forgotten all about the remington managed recoil loads. I can get a .308 and the recoil would be minimal, allowing for a fast 2nd shot...... I can get a .308 , .270, 30-30, 30.06- 7mm mag or .300 win mag. That's the loads of rem. managed recoil. This opens up several avenues, of which I am pleased, because after I am fully healed from the surgery and the bone grafts are firm, I can go back to full loads if I choose to. And I am not sure, still a little foggy, but I think it was federal who also has those type loads. Not sure about the calibers.

So what do you think about the savage striker? It was a .308.
It was 350 out the door. and like I said it had a simmons 2 x 20. That would have to go.