Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Deer Hunting Pistols? >

Deer Hunting Pistols?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer Hunting Pistols?

Old 10-29-2002, 07:06 AM

Default Deer Hunting Pistols?

Looking for suggestions/recommendations for pistols (revolvers) for hunting deer. ie caliber, barrel length etc. I am clueless but want to try it. Thanks
Old 10-29-2002, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Hunting Pistols?

If you want a hunting handgun, most recommend a minimum barrel length of 6" and a minimum chambering of 44 Rem Mag. If you are not familiar with shooting handguns, I suggest starting off with a 22LR revolver just for practice. Ruger makes some excellent single action revolvers at an affordable price. You really don't need double action to hunt with. If you want a pistol then the sky is the limit. Thompson Center makes some fine single-shot pistols in a wide variety of chamberings. The Savage bolt action pistols look promising and come in some potent chamberings, though not traditional handgun cartridges. Go out and handle as many handguns as you can. Find out what fits your hand. Try and find a range that will let you rent handguns to fire and shoot several.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Frizz minimum 6" barrel and .44 magnum.
The Thompson Contender takes handgun hunting to a whole 'nother level! With the TC you can shoot rifle caliber bullets and with practice they are accurate out to 200+ yards.
A scoped revolver could not come close to the accuracy of the TC, but they are very challenging! Good luck!
Old 10-29-2002, 11:26 AM

im not recommending a minimum of .44mag because the .41mag is definatly got enough power, but i do recommened the .44mag over it because of ammo availabilty unless you reload.
I think ruger offers the best options, though taurus and S&W offer some as well. Whether you like DA, or SA is simply up to the way they fit your hand. If you like DA, a redhawk or super redhawk in .44mag is a good choice, If you want SA a blackhawk of super blackhawk is your gun, in .44mag if you dont reload, or add the choices of .41mag and the .45colt if you reload. i recommed the 6.5" to 7.5" barrels as my favorite but again this is extremly personaly preferance
if you think you might want to mount a scope, get a Ruger super blackhawk Hunter model as it comes with a heavier barrel and intergrated scope rings

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 10-29-2002, 03:36 PM
BT
Typical Buck

depending on where and what you are going to hunt and the range at which you will or will not shoot. the 357 could be the min. i have used the 357 45 colt 44mag. and other cal to. i have shot hogs and deer. i have had no prolems with any of them
L. O. D. Charter member and L.O.S.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others. Ruger has quite a selection of different calbers and styles to choose from. I have a couple of Ruger Redhawks and one Super Redhawk chambered in 454 Casull.The Casull cartridge is a hand full. The 45 Colt cartridge can be fired in the guns chambered for the 454 Casull.The minimum I would recommend for Whitetail size game would be the 41 mag.41 mag in really not that common and ammo will be somewhat harder to find. With that said the price will be higher.I would go with a 44 mag. Ammo is available most places and 44 Special can be fire for lighter practice rounds.. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

Hey rich I agree with what these guys are saying. I noticed your from IL which county are you thinking of handgun hunting?

Old 10-29-2002, 09:51 PM

Well all you 44 dudes i have taken a few with my 686's both 4" and 6". and i can tell you many don't know the power of a 357mag round. i shoot a 125 soft point and buddy it works. i popped one that did a 180 and hit the ground a kicking . i killed another that just hit the ground dead. the farthest i have had to track one was oh... 50 yards. the 357 is a good caliber for deer.
the KEY is practice ,practice ,practice!a handgun in my opinion of any kind is like a primative weapon you have to got to be good with the gun you shoot .
now i do have a 41 mag but i like the 357mag.
but as ruger redhawk knows i am going to have super redhawk in 454 casull someday and yep i am going hunting with it. and heck i would like to have a pistol grip for my encore and a 7mm-08 barrel.
ahhh ain't it great to have dreams!

SOUTH ARKANSAS REBEL
Old 10-30-2002, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

All great and accurate posts you got. I would just like to add depending on what your budget is Dan Wesson they are the most versital revolvers out there and more accurate than most others too. You can change barrels whenever you want too such as a 10 ,8 incher for hunting and get shorter ones such as 4,6 inchers for carry in the woods and if you want to have the barrels compensated if you like for reduction in recoil. they just have endless oppertunities for the handgun hunter. they are a definate must see. If you are on a budget definately get a ruger best bang for your buck. SA super blackhawk hunter awesome and DA super red hawk. Period. 44 mag if you don't reload and if you do 45 or 44 mag they are both great.

Brian

Old 10-30-2002, 01:50 PM

soarkrebel, i use a .357 as well but i dotn want someone just getting into handgun hunting second guessing their cartridge, it has happened to me a lot. though i use a .357, for hunting i would prefer a larger caliber, not a .454 but .41 seems neat and also a .45colt. by realoding cheap 38specials i have been able to pratice a lot which has made my accuray jump significantly

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Quick Reply: Deer Hunting Pistols?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.