Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Right hand bolts for left handers >

Right hand bolts for left handers

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Right hand bolts for left handers

Old 09-12-2006, 09:07 PM

Default Right hand bolts for left handers

I need some advice.

I shoot left and I'm left eyed dominate and was wondering what the main problems would be if I were shooting a right handed bolt rifle.

Should I just get a left handed gun?....

Thanks

Old 09-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Default RE: Right hand bolts for left handers

Most left handed shooters started off with right handed guns.

A gun needs to fit you, not you fit the gun.

A moderatly skilled shooter can can shoot about anything, but one of the tricks to great shooting is matching the shooter to the best gun for them.

I have talked several lifetime crossed up shooters into buying a left-handed gun, all have said it was great for them.

It will be odd at first, as it should be, but I think it is worth the effort.

You will also get the benifits of cheek pieces and less eye strain.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Being a southpaw my opinion is buy a lefthanded bolt, it will feel, fit and function better. Main physical problems are or could be, bolt function (with the bolt on the opposite site you'll lose the target picture when cycling for a possible follow up), saftey placement (like on the 700 is across vs straight in front), cheek piece on the wrong side and chamber gas escape valve is in your face on a rh'd bolt as a south paw.

I started out with rh bolts, then pumps and finally LH. I wouldn't dream about buying a rh bolt now and know many southpaws who feel the same way.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

I'm a lefty and just went through what you are speaking of. I was going to go with a right handed bolt, but was talked into a lefty by the guy I bought my gun from (Rem. 700 in 30.06). He told me to get a lefty because it's easier to operate and faster to operate if I need to get another shot off. I ended up trying a couple of his and it was a great decision to go lefty. I do everything right handed except shoot a gun so it felt weird looking at spending big bucks on a new rifle and scope. I can't wait to get it!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:56 AM
DM

I'm another lefty who grew up with a right handed gun in my hands because no one made a LH rifle them days. Switching to a LH rifle was one of the best decisions i've made in my shooting career!

DM
Old 09-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am a lefty and grew up shooting righty firearms all my life too. But here's a weird example of what I recently did.... I went back to the original way with righty firearms and shooting them lefty.

See, I had a lefty version of a Remington 870 12GA. It was a great shotgun and all. The cross bolt safety was lefty too. It was a sweet gun. But then, it would confuse me or I'd get confused when handling my other firearms because of the safety (on my old Marlin model 60 .22LR from my childhood days and my Marlin 30AS 30-30 rifle). Then I went to look at accessories for the lefty version 870 and realized I can't get squat for it because it's "lefty" and apparantly the (if any) accessories have to be custom made. Long story short, I went up to the gun shop a few weeks ago and simple swapped it out and got a totally brand new Remington 870 12GA in normal right format, then just paid a few $$ in the difference between the two.

The only thing that is solid lefty is my Reflex Highlander. I am left eye dominant and shoot lefty (there ain't no way around that with a compound bow!). Everything else is righty and works fine for me and has for decades. I don't own a bolt action rifle but have shot them before lefty, and didn't have any problems.

As far as semi-autos (marlin model 60 .22LR among others), I grew up learning to hold my right arm and elbow down a bit, so the ejecting shell passes over my arm and doesn't biff me. My dad taught me to do that when I was a kid. I qualified on the M-16 in bootcamp all those years ago, shooting lefty too.

I guess being a lefty in a righty dominant world, you just learn to adapt....
Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 AM

You are, as suggested better off in the long run with a gun that truly fits you being a left, but with that said, you should be able to still shoot well with a righty as well. With good form and practice.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm left handed and used to shoot right until I hurt my right wrist. Now I shoot left handed and don't have any problems shooting a right handed gun. If you already have the gun I would just use it, but if you are buying a new one I would go ahead and buy a left handed model.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am a right hander who lost the right eye. I still shoot right handed bolts because I am just not that handy left handed. I did shoot LH bolts until my left shoulder got bad. That made using the LH impossible. I am only going to get one shot with a bolt regardless of which side the bolt is on. However its almost always the first shot that counts anyway. I can use a pump very well because I am working the action with my good arm.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

I too am a lefty. I wouldn't even think of a RH gun. They just don't fit. Remington does a good job putting out LH guns but I know Tikka is available. I also have a Browning A-bolt and love it.

Quick Reply: Right hand bolts for left handers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.