Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Nikon Omega scope... on a centerfire rifle? >

Nikon Omega scope... on a centerfire rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Nikon Omega scope... on a centerfire rifle?

Old 09-13-2006, 07:04 AM

Default Nikon Omega scope... on a centerfire rifle?

I'm fairly new to the world of scoped rifles (most of my shooting experience is with shotguns and smallbore rifles with open sights).

I've been doing some reading and research to select a scope for a 7mm mag I just ordered. I see that Nikon offers an Omega series of scopes for muzzleloading rifles:
http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/product.php?group=16&subgroup=10&product=8 402

The specs on this scope seem reasonably comparable to most other mid-range 3-9x40mm scopes, with the exception that the Omega has an outstanding 5.0 in of eye relief. The field of view is marginally smaller and the price marginally higher than comparable centerfire scopes, but that's a trade I could live with for an extra 1" o 1.5" of eye relief.

So, my question is: other than marketing hype, what distinguishes this "muzzleloading" scope from a centerfire scope and what would be the reasons (if any) not to use it on a centerfire rifle?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nikon Omega scope... on a centerfire rifle?

The Omega is designed for a 28" T/C muzzleloader barrel with a 250 grain bullet with 150 grains of powder. I have read great things about these Omegas mounted on muzzlelaoders. I don't know how well they would work on a regular rifle. I'm not a big into ballistics, but I don't think you are going to be able to meet the specs with your rifle that this scope is designed for. You also have to consider rate of twist of the barrels. You can get the same BDC reticle in Nikons ProStaffs, Buckmasters or Monarch scopes. The Omega scope has the same light transmission as the Buckmasters, 92%. You will be giving up some on the eye relief. I have 2 Monarchs and I don't have any problem with the eye relief. I actually have 4 Nikon scopes, 1 or more of each of the above mentioned models. I would not hesitate to buy another Nikon product. I also have a pair of the Monarch ATB binoculars which I love. For the money you can beat them. I have been looking at the Omega scopefor my T/C Encore muzzleloader and will probably buy one in the near future. The place I hunt usually offers shots less than 100 yards so I can't justify taking my Monarch off the gun until I think I'll be shooting much farther.
Anyway, here's a link I found to a place that has good prices on Nikon scopes (Their price on the Omega scopeis $50 cheaper than Cabelas!). Let us know what you decide to buy and the results you have.

Mike
Old 09-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

OOPS for got the link! Here it is:

http://theopticzone.com/nikonscopes.aspx

Mike
Old 09-13-2006, 09:36 AM

No kidding about the prices! Thanks for the tip. I ended up buying two of the Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 - one for the 7mm Mag and one for a .30-06 I ordered.

For my own understanding, I'm still curious about what distinguishes a muzzleloader scope from a centerfire. I would think that muzzleloader vs. centerfire would effect the BDC markings on the reticle, but aside from that I would expect that optics are optics. I don't think even the $uper highend 3-9x40 scopes from Zeiss have 5" of eye relief.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

No problem. I am happy to help. I would say I'm a better bargain hunter than I am a hunter. (pretty sad eh?) Anyway, with 2 young kids I like to get get the most out of my money.
I agree with you about the eye relief. I don't think I've seen anything out there with 5 inches of eye relief. To get an answer to your question about if there are any differences between the 2 scopes you may try calling or emailing Nikon. I'm sure they can answer your question(s).
Good luck this season.

Mike