Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Homemade Targets >

Homemade Targets

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Homemade Targets

Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Homemade Targets

While not as visible as the fancy home made shoot and see things you guys are making, I do use a sort of HM target. A few years ago I bought from an office supply store one of thosepresentation size (24x30 I think) flip pads with 1" grids on it. It has 50 pages of grid paper that works great for sighting in. I just put an orange stick on dot or draw a dot on it for an aim point. Actually I put 6 or 8 of them on it for multiple aim points. I can see the grids in my scope out to 100+ yards (depending on the scope) and dial it in without having to walk down range. As it gets full of holes I just put some masking tape over them and reuse it the next time out. I shoot at least once or twice a month and only change them out about every 3rd or 4th session. I still have a half pad left after 2+ years. I have them on 3 target frames so I can set up at 3 different distances and not have to move them till I'm done. I think I paid around $20 for the pad.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: herman

The targets you lazer print do they show the bullet holes like the targets that red lion is talking about?If so I have a hp deskjet will it work?
Well, out to about 200 yardsI can clearly see the bullet holes looking through my scope, if that's what you mean. I suppose the HP deskjet would work. Is it a laser printer?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

On a bit of a different note, I have found that an old aluminum-framed folding lawnchair makes a great target holder. A piece of cardboard taped to the backrest of the chair is used to tape targets on. The whole works folds up easily, and can be set at any range you wish to shoot at. It's light, portable, and fits easily in your vehicle. I've been using one for years. Just thought I'd pass this on, for what it's worth.....................
Old 09-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I cheat...I print mine off at www.targetz.com the one I like is
http://www.targetz.com/targetz-lib/10033.pdf

I use a spotting scope to see bullet holes.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Pawildguy,
That is a great tip. I normally go to our local gun range to shoot but once in awhile I just want to fire a couple shots out on Crown land and need some kind of target "stand". I happen to have a brokedown lawn chair or three and will be making one into a folding target dtand.

I take a piece of cardboard and draw a rough deer shape on it and cut it out.Then Iuse that to shoot arrows at when getting "field practice". When my daughter was doing some rifle shooting in preperation to go deer hunting for the first time I put up a deer shape target for her to shoot at to see if she understood where on a deer to aim. A nice tight 3 shot group on the deers heart area gave us both a lot of confidence that she was ready to hunt. She killed a fat doe and we were both pretty pumped about it.

Al rifle hunters could probably benifit from some shooting at life like game targets instead of circle bullseye targets all the time.

robin down under