Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Flinching

Old 09-02-2006, 07:41 AM

Default RE: Flinching

There is a lot of good advice being dispensed here. You can tell that you are not the only one to have had this problem. I have pretty much overcome the problem myself. I used a .22 and shoot target trying to get the best groups possible so that means concentrating on trigger control. I use hearing protection even with the .22 so that I'm completley relaxed. I then moved to a .243/6.5x55SE and used a pad and hearing protection, and did the same thing with target shooting. I moved to a .308 without a scope (no fear of the scope in the eye)...then with the scope again always wearing a pad and hearing protection. I have pretty much beat the problem and when I hunt...the recoil/blast flinch is non existant. I stick to the rules of hearing protection and the shoulder pad when practicing. I think it was advice from Bigbull that mentioned letting the gun move you with recoil. That is absolutely true, and is best practiced with off hand shooting. I know the advice being given in this thread is sound, and I know you can beat this thing if you work on it. Sounds like a lot of us have been there and done that.