Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Flinching

Old 09-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Flinching

I was at the range toady shooting and one of the guys I was shooting with says I flinch quite a bit when i shoot. i was shooting ok at 50 yards with my 30.06 so he shot a few and they were all about 5 inches low and left, i thought it might just be him so i had some other guys shoot and they all shot low and left too. He told me its because i am consistantly fliching when i shoot and its gotten to the point where i cant shoot past 50 yards. Does anyone have any tips that can help me shoot better.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Flinching

I had this same problem and a pal helped my by playing a little game. I would sit on the nench then he would hand the rifle to me with the safety on. I would then aim the rifle and pull the trigger. Sometimes there was a live round in the chamber, and sometimes it was justa snap cap. A snap cap is a device that looks like a round, but only has a spring in it to ease the shock of the firing pin to help reduce damage. You will be amazed at the amount of flinch you have when you fire a dead round. As well, I found that I closed my eye when pulling the trigger. Lots and lots of practice, purposely holding your eye open and gently gradually squeezing the trigger should help. EJ
Old 09-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots and lots of practice, purposely holding your eye open and gently gradually squeezing the trigger should help. EJ
Make that both eyes.It does allow you to see things that could affect your shot but that can't be seen through the scope.
Old 09-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

As already said, get yourself some snap caps and dry fire your rifle alot. Also if you have one you should shoot a .22 as much as you can. Flinching is a mental thing that can easily be overcome.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

The live round - snap cap game is a good way to find out how bad a flinch is. The only way to get over it is to mentally make youeself not move.

You just gotta let the gun kick you. It isn't gonna hurt any more than when you are flinching. It's not like the rifle kicks more because you jerk at the shot. Actually the oposite is true. If you allow your shoulder to absorbe the recoil and move with the rifle and don't tense up the felt recoil will be less. Just like someone punching you in the arm. When you tense up it hurts more than when you roll with the punch.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

You just gotta let the gun kick you. It isn't gonna hurt any more than when you are flinching. It's not like the rifle kicks more because you jerk at the shot.
I agree 1000 percent. Take on the recoil and 'go with the flow'. Holding the 7mm Mag. firmly against my shoulder and'delicately' pulling the trigger, I can usually get her in there, right on target.[/align]
Icame across a post on this board where a member posted his target he shot with a .416 Rigby. (I believe it was a Ruger #1b) and those shots I thought were right on. It would be interesting to get his thoughts on how to handle recoil.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice a constant squeeze on the trigger. Right now you are jerking the trigger and you know when the hammer will drop.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:11 PM
Fork Horn

That or he is anticipating the recoil, which I think is the problem.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1

I had this same problem and a pal helped my by playing a little game. I would sit on the nench then he would hand the rifle to me with the safety on. I would then aim the rifle and pull the trigger. Sometimes there was a live round in the chamber, and sometimes it was justa snap cap. A snap cap is a device that looks like a round, but only has a spring in it to ease the shock of the firing pin to help reduce damage. You will be amazed at the amount of flinch you have when you fire a dead round. As well, I found that I closed my eye when pulling the trigger. Lots and lots of practice, purposely holding your eye open and gently gradually squeezing the trigger should help. EJ
This is they way I solved my flinching problem.......and it works...

Practice shooting with the gun loaded by someone else and you not knowing if it's going to go bang or not.

It takes a long time but worth it. Those that don't overcome this won't even be able to shoot a 22 rimfire until they do.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

in addition to all the above i would also suggest checking the trigger pull, i try to keep all of my hunting rifles between 3-3.5# a stiff trigger will contribute to poor shooting and shooting habits, i like to squeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzeeeee slowly and have a clean break (surprise), some factory trigger jobs are unreal, they are doing it to protect their own rear-ends. i would not go below 3# for a hunting rifle, and if your going to be shooting/hunting with gloves going in and out of the trigger gaurd i'd go with 3.5#

Quick Reply: Flinching

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.