Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Flinching

Old 08-31-2006, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Flinching

I have a problem that i need fixed. I started off wayyy to big but that was because of a personal reason. When I started Shotgun hunting it was with a 12 gauge 3 inch mag. That was when i was 11 or 12. Now every time i shoot somthing i flinch and close my eyes. Even when shooting .22's I do it. Is there a way to fix this? If I catch myself I can usually not do it the next shot or so. Thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Flinching

Even with a .22 huh?
If you have a bb gun or air rifle, just shoot it a bunch of times and focus on not flinching. If you can do that, try it with a .22 and just work your way up in calibers I guess.

Just tell yourself that the gun isn't going to hurt you, take a breath before you shoot and just make sure you are relaxed. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 AM

Shoot and shoot a lot. You can use the .22, focus on the sites when you pull the trigger, this can help take your mind off the jerking and improve your shooting. Try to see the muzzle flash, that lets you know you didn't close your eyes or if you can set up pop cans or something to shoot at that you can see fall when you pull the trigger. After a while the jerking reflex should go away. Best of luck.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

my suggestion would be using something like a .410 on slow moving clays. With moving targets you focus so much on getting on that clay that you dont have time to flinch
And with a .410 it wont kickmuch at all so you are more likely to give up the flinch faster than with a bigger gun.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Squirely,
Might be a dumb question but do you wear sufficient ear protection?
Sometimes it's not only the recoil it's the sound that causes flintching.
Since there is no recoil with a 22it makes me believe it's the sound

Get on that 22 with earmuffs combined with earplugs and see how it goes
Old 08-31-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started out the same way and it has affected my shooting on and off for years. I finally have overcame it for the most part although now having a bum shoulder puts me in the same boat again..lol. I just kept shooting and quit rushing things and would actually talk myself thru the shot for a few years.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

I agree, ear protection will help alot. Also, try to hold your mouth slightly open, as this will make it hard to flinch. Seriously! Also, try some shooting with a freind, having them load the gun hot sometimes and empty sometimes. This will fix you up man. And yea, use small rifles for the job. It takes time to correct also.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

I have a problem that i need fixed. I started off wayyy to big but that was because of a personal reason. When I started Shotgun hunting it was with a 12 gauge 3 inch mag. That was when i was 11 or 12. Now every time i shoot somthing i flinch and close my eyes. Even when shooting .22's I do it. Is there a way to fix this? If I catch myself I can usually not do it the next shot or so. Thanks
i also have a flinching problem. thats why my biggest centerfire rifle is an -06...my problem starts after 5 or 6 rounds fired and is not real bad. just enough tapull a shot off from the group a little.

anway's this is what i do
1) dry fire practice with a snap-cap
2) whare a shoulder pad when fireing from the bench
3) concentrate on holding the sight picturewith total dis-reguard to discharge even after dis-charge
4) slow, smooth trigger squeeze
5) alway's where hearing protection

and like has been said practice with 22's and similar small calibers

early
Old 08-31-2006, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

First off you do not pull the triggers the same way on shotguns and rifles. A shotgun is suppose to be pulled quickly or "slapped" when shooting at clays and birds. A rifle trigger is suppose to be squeezed until it finally releases and should surprise you some what.

It sounds like you have learned how to shoot a shotgunbut no one has taught you how to properly fire a rifle.

There is only one way to fix this problem. Start out withyour center fire rifle and practice dry firing it (EMPTY CHAMBER)in your house. Concentrate 100% on simply squeezing the trigger until you have it mastered. I like to do this while aiming at the animals on the television on the hunting shows.Then go to the range with a .22lr and do it with live rounds. Then move up to your centerfire rifle at the range. If your shoulder gets sore then stop shooting immediately.

Basically you just have to let the gun kick you. It's not like it kicks any less if you flinch. It actually hurts less if you let it kick you naturally and don't get all tenced up and fight it. If you just let it kick you your body will move with the gun instead of fighting it and this moving with the rifle will lessen the felt recoil. This does not mean to hold the gun loose.Pull the gun tight into your shoulder and let your BODY move with the shot.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Flinching

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.