Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Flinching

Old 08-31-2006, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Flinching

Not to sound like a broken record but I had this problem as well and two things helped me the most. The very best hearing protection I could get was the first step followed up by shooting .22 a lot. I did not try to get too accurate at first I simply went plinking. After I while I could notice a difference and then I started honing my accuracy and eventually worke my way up in calibers. Good luck!!

Old 08-31-2006, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Hey Squirely,
Might be a dumb question but do you wear sufficient ear protection?
Sometimes it's not only the recoil it's the sound that causes flintching.
Since there is no recoil with a 22it makes me believe it's the sound

Get on that 22 with earmuffs combined with earplugs and see how it goes
Sometimes I shoot with earmuff's sometimes not. I didnt when i shot shotguns. I shoot .410's at english sparrows and it doesnt make me flinch. I practice for my shooting team (17 nationally) When i'm focusing and get my adrenaline going, It doesnt seem to matter. I shot 400ish rounds this summer and it's getting better. I Did practice my trigger pull on the .22, And it has helped my groups. I'm shooting a ton to get ready for squirrel season. Thanks alot guys!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls touched on something that I hadnt thought of. I had been shooting a 12 gauge for several years before i ever picked up a rifle. I rarely miss with a shotgun....and I have had some terrible spells with the rifle so I think what he was saying about the trigger differences is a huge point that hadnt even occured to me. Its took a long time to iron the good rifle squeeze out by basically squeezing off dry fires at game on tv...it works....mucho practice! The 12 gauge isnt what killed he shpulder either btw...it was too many mt bike racing crashes...lol...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is how I teach trigger pull. Take a ball point pen and hold it our trigger hand ( right or left) Now click the pen with your trigger finger ,that is how it should feel. You need to concentrate on the trigger and the sight picture rather then the boom.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Anthony T.

I agree, ear protection will help alot. Also, try to hold your mouth slightly open, as this will make it hard to flinch. Seriously! Also, try some shooting with a freind, having them load the gun hot sometimes and empty sometimes. This will fix you up man. And yea, use small rifles for the job. It takes time to correct also.

After you have mastered practicing with the dry firing of your weapon to master the feel of your trigger break (as recommended by bigbulls, the method described above by Anthony T. is the most effective way to beat this foe.
I'd recommend doing this drill with the .22 and move up to the next bigger caliber when the .22 flinch is extinguished. It'll cost you a little ammo, but well worth it to be able torelax again with your guns.
Excellent ear and eye protection are a must to help you relax.
I always shoot with foam ear puffs AND muff. Makes it very quiet so I can concentrate.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:49 PM

Find a teacher. Not ashooter, a teacher. That is willing to help.

Most people that will reload a week then shoot all weekend at the local range know a little about shooting, most are willing to help, at least one probably can.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion follow through is the most important part of accurate shooting. You will never be accurate if you flinch. Alot of good ideas so far, but I missed it if someone mentioned follow through. I realize in a high power rifle it is extremely difficult, but imagine yourself watching the bullet hit the target through the scope. If you are trying to watch the bullet hit, you will inadvertantly stop flinching, just do not think about it. I have rifles where I can see the bullet hit the target. Learn to be comfortable and enjoy shooting your rifle, instead of dreading the recoil. And by the way, does your rifle fit you, Tom.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

4) slow, smooth trigger squeeze
Pull the trigger slowly so the actual blast surprises you and you arn't expecting it.
Old 09-02-2006, 05:07 AM

Everyone flinches sometimes. I shoot thousands of rounds some months and will catch myself flinching occasionally on the range.

When I was a drill sergeant I had several ways of dealing with PVT's flinching problems. One was to stomp their heads into the sand until they were so numb, they didn't have the motor function or reflexesto flinch. Just kidding.

Dry fire practice is one good way to beat flinching. Without getting into all the fundamentals, just get into position, sight in on the target, and practice squeezing the trigger while keeping your sights/crosshairs on the target. Continually remind yourself that the gun only kills at one end and the noise and recoil won't harm you in anyway.

Have a buddy watch you while you're dry firing. Tell him to watch: trigger squeeze, your eyes to make sure you not closing them, breathing, and of course watch for any jerking. After each "shot", he should critique you.Then, have him watch you firing live rounds. he should watch you, not the target. The target cannot be coached, you can.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. Do a lot of dry-firing.
2. Do some "ball & dummy" practice. Go to the range with a low-recoil rifle, and take a buddy with you -someone who can load the gun for you without you being able to see what the person is doing. They hand you the rifle, and you aim and fire it, without knowing if the person actually loaded it, or handed you an empty gun! You aim and fire it as if it were NOT loaded, just as you did when dry-firing it.

After a couple of "ball & dummy sessions", I'll bet you will be able to keep your eyes open, and squeeze, rather than jerk, the trigger.

I've used this approach to teach some of the worst flinchers to shoot the .45 pistol well enough to qualify! It is embarrassing to be flinching and jerking the trigger with an empty gun!

Quick Reply: Flinching

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.