Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300WSM Modle 70 Grouping >

300WSM Modle 70 Grouping

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300WSM Modle 70 Grouping

Old 08-31-2006, 12:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 300WSM Modle 70 Grouping

ORIGINAL: haugenna

Its a Browning A bolt wit a Burris Scope, FF II I think. We would hit close to thebullseye, and then I was rubbing my eyes to see the second shot. Didn't even hit paper. I shot it as well so it wasn't the shooter. I am trying to covince him to shoot the 150'sBST forMulies. What does everyone think about the 150 BST's for Mulies? Under 300 YDS. He is very ethical and willnot shoot over 300 no matter what.

Haugenna out
I recommend the 150gr nosler accubond bullets for your needs. The BT's wont hold up as good on impact as the bonded tipped bullets will. Or try the 165gr swift sciroccos. I think they make the scirocco in 150gr and .308 cal. The bonded tipped bullets are as accurate as BT's and are better suited for higher velocity cartridges.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Anthony. I've trailed several deer that were hit in the shoulder with a bt type bullet that went forever before they died. Where as had it been a core lock or a more mushrooming type ammo I don't think we would have had that problem. They just don't penatrate as well in my book. I finally talked my friend that I lease the land with to switch to something different in his 7mm mag two years ago and we haven't trailed one since. Well maybe 10 feet from it getting the taste knocked out it. my 2 cent's.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 PM

Okay, i have just kinda skimmed over this forum thing on the 300 wsm. i bought a .300wsm model 70 featherweight or lite..lol this february. I have shot it three times to line up the scope after bore sighting. Will i have these same problems with this gun???? It isnt stainless its walnut stock and all that good stuff. I am interested in knowing, cause if its gonna do this, im just gonna stick with the ole trusty .270.

Can't say,

I swear that every gun has its own personality. That is what keeps me busy. If you were going hunting tomorrow I would say take 270 since you have not shot the 300 enough to know what it or you will do.

I myself shoot often, but usually when I buy a new gun I will shoot 60-80 rnds in it before hunting. Start off by sighting in close(5-8 shots)and cleaning with a good copper solvent. Take several sessions shooting without over heating me or the barrel(10rnds) cleaning after each session with copper solvent. You can shoot more rnds per session if you clean and cool properly, BUT with bigger guns I get sloppy so I feel like I waste cartidges if i shoot too long.

Short answer is you might or might not have problems,we have sighted in hundreds of guns that seem to shoot well after only a few shots( a sight in and a good 3 round group).

Most guns are easy, but just because one may take a little extra time does not mean it is not worth it, because that time will give you a better relationship with your gun.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Spike

I am in contact with the original owner/Inventor of coppermelt. He has for some reason or other been running undercover.

If anyone has an interest in using coppermelt, I'm sure we can get some bottles out to you. Apparently, the product works like a charm,as i have been told, but production has suffered and supply is almost non existant. I do not know the formula, nor want to, so please be aware of this. i am only a go between for the time being.

pm me, and I will see what I can do for you.

Thanks