Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Barnes Clean-up >

Barnes Clean-up

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barnes Clean-up

Old 12-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Barnes Clean-up

After shooting about 40 Barnes X bullets through my rifle I sat down tonight to clean it. I scrubed for an hour with copper solvent and bronze brush but there still seems to be steaks of at least copper coloring in the bore. Do I need to clean some more or is there going to be traces of copper coloring no matter what? Has anyone used the Barnes copper slovent?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barnes Clean-up

Plug the chamber with a collapsible ear plug and get a can of wipeout and give it a one second spray to fill the bore.....Let it sit over night.Run a fresh dry patch through the barrel and retry to use the sweets and brush....all copper should be gone by now.

May I ask what kind of barrel you have?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Barnes CR-10 every time I clean my guns to remove the copper. Do not use a bronze brush use a nylon one. The bronze brush you are using is leaving the streaks because it contains copper. Good luck.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto on handloaders response and suggestion, try some CR10 and forget the brush.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:35 AM
bigcountry

I have alot of trouble shooting Barnes. I have to use wipeout in two or three settings. One being overnight. And then finish up with sweets. Thats the reason I don't shoot them anymore. I quit using bronze brushes unless for shotgun. Now I use the Nylon. They are hard to find but worth it. I think brownells sells them.

Old 12-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

While we are on this subject has anyone heard of Coppermelt you can look it up at [link]http://www.coppermelt.com[/link] The price of this stuff is crazy I wonder if this is a scam or if this is a quality product. Everytime I start loading bullets that foul badly I usually run my Outers Foul out III on the barrel so every last bit of copper is gone...
Old 12-12-2003, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used Barnes bullets but i have good luck removing copper with Shooters Choice copper solvent. I also use the nylon brushes that bigcountry mentioned and they work fine but they do wear pretty fast so when i find some i ususally by 4 or 5 at a time.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks a lot for the info. I have used Barnes bullets for a long time. Never noticed before how hard it was to gey the copper out. This gun is a Remington with the stock Remingtom barrel. I might give up on the Barnes bullets as well. I really like thier performance but it may not be worth the trouble. I have not tried the coated ones yet as I had trouble with some of the early coated bullets fouling with the coating stuff. Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2003, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

If you're thinking of giving uo the Barnes-x you might try the Nosler Ballistic tips, no excessive fouling and great game performance.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I love the Nosler Ballistic tip as well. I load them in my 250.

Quick Reply: Barnes Clean-up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.