2008 Indoor Leagues Enjoy some off-season archery fun by participating in one of our Indoor Shooting Leagues.

Grouping ??

Old 01-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Grouping ??

I notice from one week to the next my groups tend to move around a bit. One week I might consistantly group a little high, the next weekthe group might be a little left. Is this from an inconsistant anchor or poor form or do I have other issues?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:59 AM

Default RE: Grouping ??

Your anchor is a little bit different and/or bow torque. As you well know, you just don't have to move your anchor point much at all to move your impact point. Your case is rather interesting in that your groups move, so you're consistent each day, but not consistent from one day to the next.

Now having said that, I would still triple check and make sure everything is tight, the bow is still in tune, and also make sure your arrows aren't damaged, ie cracked.

I'm betting it's an achor thing though. And a subtle one at that.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

John I have the same issue. I simply attribute mine to being a novice. I haven't been shooting a BOW long enough.....much less a bow at targets.....to know when I'm "on" or "off". I had a trend a week or so ago of hitting low/left. I wore out the bottom of the 10 ring....but the entire top was pristine. Can't explain it.

One thing I've done is try to approach shooting like I did golf. I know from my golf days that little things......even what I EAT will affect my body's performance on a given day. I'm trying to lay off the caffeine.....and I watch what I eat if I know I'm going to be shooting, soon (as in what I had prior to Satruday's 3D shoot).

I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my new bow, next week, and seeing how a shorter draw affects my shooting. I'm only shortening up 1/2".......but we'll see.

To me....the really fun days are the ones in which I see I don't have my "A" game....(correlating back to golf, again)....but I still manage a good score. THAT is fun.

I agree with Mobo, though. I had a peep issue that threw off my shots, Saturday for a while. I'm sure it was causing me to anchor differently. When I corrected it.....my shot pattern tightened.

I'd like to get to the point in archery (like I was in golf) where I could relate causation with results and make in-game adjustments.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, remember that every day conditions change. Your stress level, attitude, weather and other factors impact your posture and muscle tension. The way you hold and draw your bow will be slightly different each day (most times ever so slightly).
Old 01-24-2008, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I've been trying to figure out why on occasion I have a "flyer". Like when I have a 28-2x. And I'm not real consistant. I've had some 29 and 30s so I know I can do it. But also 24s.This weekend I figured out it's a anchor point issue. The string on my nose is consistant but my release hand changes.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had the same issue.

I've found that tension is the culprit. When I'm too tense, I start pulling too hard into the back wall and pushing my bow hand too hard into the bow. This cause me to torque the grip ever so slightly and my groups open up.

The other thing - I'm shooting FOBs. They act as a natural kisser button against my chin. However, if you press the FOB into your chin, it leads to poor shots. I have to just lightly touch the FOB against my chin, and barely touch my nose to the string.

When I start shooting poorly, it's usually because of too much tension. I just need to relax. When I relax, the pin float settles down, the grip tourque goes away, my release feels better, and my arrows fly true (er).