Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300WSM Modle 70 Grouping >

300WSM Modle 70 Grouping

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300WSM Modle 70 Grouping

Old 08-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 300WSM Modle 70 Grouping

Ok...My day at the range went much better. I cleaned barrel with some Hoppes and a brush so it should have been squeeky clean. Bought 2 new boxes of ammo. Winchester Gxp2 150gr ballistics(which I refuse to hunt with) and some Win Supreme150 gr hollow points. I tried the fusions again and was hoping it would be close to the last shot I had yesterday. No luck! 10" off on 1st shot and 7" the other way on the 2nd. I decided to go ahead and put theballistic ptsin and the 1st shot was dead center high. Next shot was about 1" lower. 3rd shot was about 1" to right. Tons better than what I was previously getting. I wasn't trying to shoot a good group though. I was just holding it steady. I let the barrel cool again and got serious with my next 4 shots.I am trying to put a pic in. I numbered my next 4 shots. Not sure on the 1st shot I may have flinched a little..but my next 3 were good holds. I'm pretty pleased. The hollow points were the same result. I left the target at the range though. Not sure why those fusions were so bad. Guess its just one of those bullets that don't work in my gun. I may shoot the 150grs just to see if they are any better. 165's are definitly out.

Thanks for all the good advise.

PS Meopta is a Chez made scope. They are in the market to compete with Swark and Zeiss. They are super clear and are just as clear if not clearer than the swark and zeiss at dusk. I have physically looked through them out side at dusk to compare. Thats why I went with them and b/c they are $400-500 less. Entry level market price. That will go way up over the next few years. Same thing zeiss did when they came out several years back. Wish I had bought one at the cheaper price then!

Old 08-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Should have said those other 3 shots that aren't labled are some of the fusions from yesterday. You can see why I was so frustrated.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

That looks like some pretty good grouping man. I'd say with practice it will only get better. I'd say your rifle is fine and with no problems.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:25 PM

Looks great to me.

Keep clean and shoot often, I will bet the groups will get even better.

As a RULE bonded bullets are more picky about guns they will shoot in. As a hunting round you might try something loaded with a nosler partition and yes I said this Rem core locks. Both rounds are good for hunting and generally shoot well in most rifles.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. Yes I am a huge nospart fan. I almost refuse to shoot a ballistic tip bullet at any game animal. Bullet breaks up to much and if you hit a bone you can forget it. Actually all I shoot out of my .270are the rem core locks. I've lost one deer in the 18 years I've been hunting with them, and that was me taking a dumb shot..of course it was a big buck...you can see I'm still kicking myself 6yrs later. I'm probably going to try the federal nos 150gr and the win xp elite 150gr and see how the match up.
Thanks again.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:51 AM

Okay, i have just kinda skimmed over this forum thing on the 300 wsm. i bought a .300wsm model 70 featherweight or lite..lol this february. I have shot it three times to line up the scope after bore sighting. Will i have these same problems with this gun???? It isnt stainless its walnut stock and all that good stuff. I am interested in knowing, cause if its gonna do this, im just gonna stick with the ole trusty .270.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

dmitchell28. I hope that you don't. If you will look at the pic and see the numbered shots, after changing ammo my grouping went to a nickle size. I think I can get tighter if I used some bags or a rest.My dad has a model 70 feathelite 270 and it shoots very tight patterns. Just make sure you try a few ammo's before giving up. I'm also going to put a limbsaver barrel depressor on mine as well. I have one on my rem700 270 and can shoot 3 through the same hole at 100yds using a rest. They work. Might not be a bad deal since the barrel on that featherlite is pretty thin compared to a regular size barrel.

Good luck
Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine just bought a 300 wsm and we are beating our heads against the walls on why this thing won't group. I swear I read on another forum about 150 bst's shooting well in the 300 wsm. Am I crazy?? We tried 180's in WS BST and Fed Fusion in both grains. Perhaps we should try these 150's that you speak of. Looks like a good group.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Haugenna, I know yall's frustration. I definitly believe that you can get better grouping using different ammo though. I've witnessed it in several different guns. But I've never had one that was shooting so far off on every shot as this wsm was. I would litterally shoot 10" in one direction and the next shot would be 10" in the other with those Fusion's. I was ready to chunkmy gunlike it was my putter on my 10th three putt! I went to wally world and bought the only ammo they had for 300wsm and it happened to be 150gr Winchester Ballistic tips. When I got back to the range I tried that Fusion one more time and got the same results as before. I let the barrel cool and put 3 of the bst's in. I wasn't trying to shoot a super tight group but after 3 shots I knew I was going in the right direction. The pic shows my next 4 shots and you can see the results were positive. I shot 3 more groups just as good if not better.

Someone above mentioned that bonded bullets like those fusions are not as condusive to some barrels as others. I like the fusions due to all the positive info I've been reading on them. Unfortunatly I have one of those guns that doesn't want to shoot them. I looked around on the web and found several articles saying the same thing about bonded type bullets like the Fusion's are.

What kind of rifle is it? What kind of Scope is he using?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Its a Browning A bolt wit a Burris Scope, FF II I think. We would hit close to thebullseye, and then I was rubbing my eyes to see the second shot. Didn't even hit paper. I shot it as well so it wasn't the shooter. I am trying to covince him to shoot the 150'sBST forMulies. What does everyone think about the 150 BST's for Mulies? Under 300 YDS. He is very ethical and willnot shoot over 300 no matter what.

Haugenna out

Quick Reply: 300WSM Modle 70 Grouping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.