Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Confused.........again..... >

Confused.........again.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Confused.........again.....

Old 07-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Confused.........again.....

I got to wondering about this the other day, and thought someone here may be able to enlighten me. I understand the "Pre-64" terminology for Winchester has to do with the point in time wher they changed the style of bolt action in Model 70's. This conversion is what basically makes the"Pre-64" more valuable to diehard fans and collectors.
My question is this: What does that have to do with Model 94's being aavertised as "Pre-64" also? What change(s) were made to it in 1964? Either I have forgotten what that was, or simply don't understand. Yes, I'm aware that subtle changes have occurred over the years as with most everyone else, but what separates a 1963 '94 from a 1965 '94?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:39 AM

Default RE: Confused.........again.....

i think;

winchester guns were hand fitted and polished b4 1964, and solid pins were used in the reciever/trigger construction as oppossed to roll pins.

also there may have been several QC inspections at various machining operations that were lessened or droped fer cost effectiveness.

i think

early
Old 07-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Prior to '64. All Winchester guns were generally made from solid steel parts, machined and fitted to the individual rifle. The quality of the guns was almost what you would get in a custom rifle today. After '64, the designs were modified to use more cheaply manufactured stamped parts. To save labor costs, the fit and finish also declined. Racking the lever of a post '64 rifle sounded like a BB gun. Shooters felt betrayed.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

Prior to '64. All Winchester guns were generally made from solid steel parts, machined and fitted to the individual rifle. The quality of the guns was almost what you would get in a custom rifle today. After '64, the designs were modified to use more cheaply manufactured stamped parts. To save labor costs, the fit and finish also declined. Racking the lever of a post '64 rifle sounded like a BB gun. Shooters felt betrayed.
Right! It was NOT just the Model 70 that underwent the "cheapening" process, but all of their high-quality guns that were not just dropped outright like the Model 21 shotgun, etc.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, thanks to those who took the time to refresh my memory. I guess I just got lost in all the Model 70 "Pre-64" hype that I forgot about how the other models suffered also.
By the way...I attended a local auction yesterday that had several guns for sale, one being a Model 94 30-30. A serial no. check indicated it was made in 1952, and was in nice condition, probably in the neighborhood of 95%. The new owner took it home for $275.00. I thought the price was a tad high, but the condition may have warranted it. What do you all think?
Old 07-16-2006, 11:57 AM

i think condition is everything

a very good purchase

early
Old 07-17-2006, 05:53 AM

A 1952 production '94 for $275 would be a great price around here.

I love seeing an occasional newspaper add for a "Pre '64" Remington or Marlin!