Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Confused

Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Confused

Well i was bored today so i decided to start looking for camo clothing for deer season this year as it will be my first. I am absolutely confused on what to buy. I live in ohio and i'm not sure if i should get lightweight coveralls and just layer underneath with some camo shirts or spend the extra money and get a cold weather coverall. There are 1000 different shirts and 1000 different gloves and boots. I'm on a limited budget as i'm buying all of my stuff myself and i'm only 19 and working part time. What brand and type of shirts and gloves do you prefer and what camo pattern should i get. On cabelas.com they have the new Mossy Oak breakup,Real Tree Hardwood HD Grey and Seclusion 3-D.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Confused

I think camo (like many other things) is personal preference more than anything. I'm not so sure one is any better than another. My recommendation would be to get some wool. No matter what man comes up with, we can't beat wool. It is warm and quiet, even when wet.

Good luck,
KP
Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM

Wool camo is defintely very good for cold weather, and quiet, so can't go wrong for late season with it. As far as buying camo clothing in general, you really do not need to spend a lot to get good enough. What I mean by good enough, is just go to a store and start looking at what is on sale and go from there. I have often bought less expensive stuff, like whitewater and it works fine. I also mix and miss-match my camo. As long as you are not really off in either having much darker camo than you surroundings or much lighter, you will be fine with whatever. Many folks still use BDU's or military clothing and kill plenty of deer.
It also never hurts to throw the idea out to your parents, etc...for birthdays and other occasions as well, as you may get a gift card to some place as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the other posts. Buy what you can afford now. I prefer layering rather than one piece coveralls. Just preference not to say one is better than the other. I've even picked up some inexpensive stuff at Wally World and K-Mart. Check around for pre-season sales...they are always around.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:14 PM

I second the preferance for layering as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bass Pro had a sale on camo going last week, you might check with them.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

it depends on the temps youre going to be hunting. In Wi most of us have several different types of cold and warm weather clothing as you never know what the temps are going to be. If your looking for camo, choose a camo that blends in with the area(s) youll be hunting and one that blends in for the season.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

Well i was bored today so i decided to start looking for camo clothing for deer season this year as it will be my first. I am absolutely confused on what to buy. I live in ohio and i'm not sure if i should get lightweight coveralls and just layer underneath with some camo shirts or spend the extra money and get a cold weather coverall. There are 1000 different shirts and 1000 different gloves and boots. I'm on a limited budget as i'm buying all of my stuff myself and i'm only 19 and working part time. What brand and type of shirts and gloves do you prefer and what camo pattern should i get. On cabelas.com they have the new Mossy Oak breakup,Real Tree Hardwood HD Grey and Seclusion 3-D.

So are you going to bow hunt or gun hunt? Bow hunters can take advantage of camo clothing. But in my opinion, if Ohio requires blaze orange during gun season like Illinoisit's a waste of money, unless you want to look good while you wear that blaze orange vest. I have the same old camo coat and Carhartt bibs for the last 20 years I wear. If your required to wear orange you might as well wear a hot pink jump suit. The main thing is to play the wind and remain as motionless as possible.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:38 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

I think ASAT is the best pattern but everything is of course debatable. It has the same colors as big game animals and if it works for them why not us. They have some off colored stuff on their website pretty cheap you should check out.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:38 AM

I'm going to gun hunt and yes we have to wear hunter orange. So it really doesn't matter if i buy lots of camo or not since i have to wear hunter orange. I think then i'll just get some coveralls or bibs and jacket and spend more money on my boots.

P.S. I plan on hunting in a ground blind so i guess i don't have to worry about as much camo. Between the blind and hunters orange it really doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Confused

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.