Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

elk rifle

Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: elk rifle

Lol. Yea, they shoot the same bullets. I'm referring to the lenght of cartridge.
Also, the 7mm mag or STW is plenty of knockdown for an Elk. I would load a hot load of 150 gr swift scirocco in my 7mm saum @ 3100+fps and go get one. I dont like the added recoil of the 300 win mag or a 7mm stw. Recoil hurts accuracy and to someone who's a 1 time elk hunter, you need all the accuracy you can get on a long shot. I can't imagine how anyone would think a 7mm mag is insufficient for elk. 160 gr nosler accubonds would wrok better maybe. about 3000fps and a better ballistic coefficient than the 180 in 300 mag.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Recoil hurts accuracy and to someone who's a 1 time elk hunter, you need all the accuracy you can get on a long shot.
Perhaps recoil effects your accuracy,but some of us can be quite accurate in spite of recoil.The groups below were fired with an unbraked 300ultramag that produces significant recoil.Does it look like the recoil is affecting the accuracy?And it should be noted that the 300ultramag case is much longer than your saum case.Can you do better with your 7mmsaum with less recoil and a shorter case?

Old 08-04-2006, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Lol! Yea, I can. But like you, Ive been shooting it for awhile. This guy, I thought, was a 1 time elk hunter and it would be easier for him to shoot a lighter kicking rifle IMO. Nice groups though. What can you get freehand @100yds? also, we're not discussing our shooting skills in this thread, but trying to help this guy find a low recoil, adequete elk cartridge.
To the thread starter: my 7mm saum is a remington sendero. Kicks about like a 243, maybe very slightly harder. It will do the job you need it to. 7mm-08 wouldnt be in my list of elk cartridges.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can you do better with your 7mmsaum with less recoil and a shorter case?
Lol! Yea, I can.

Then how about showing us some of your groups that are better than the ones I posted.

we're not discussing our shooting skills in this thread
You made statements to the effect that less recoil and a shorter case are more accurate,so I am simply asking you to back up your statements.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I dont like the added recoil of the 300 win mag or a 7mm stw
Have you even fired a 7mm stw?
Old 08-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

Aight man, I have one I shot the other day and will gladly shoot more tomorrow if I gotta.
Im saying that overall statistics show that a shorter cartridge burns powder at a more even rate, thus more accurate. Which says simply that a guy shooting each would d better with a short cartridge. I did'nt mean to make this a personal battle.
Also, any rifle can be shot with accuracy on the bench. WHat about freehand? I have one here from 100yds sitting. no bench, no pods.
140gr accubond
IMR 4831 58.6 gr.
3188fps.
The one at the bottom got away from me

Ill shoot a few from bench tomorrow just for sheits and giggles. I can cut the diamond out of the bottom target on bench @100. Don't worry man, ill back it up tomorrowYou're a great shot, we shouldnt argue whos better, i know im not the best. I give you major props though, to get groups like that with a 300 ultra. Nice, very nice!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Typical Buck

Yea, but the recoil wasnt too bad in the stw. Not really the 7mm ultra either. 300 ultras are rough though.OUCH! I like mine because it kicks hardly any and still shoots straight.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im saying that overall statistics show that a shorter cartridge burns powder at a more even rate, thus more accurate. Which says simply that a guy shooting each would d better with a short cartridge.
In theory perhaps,but in real life,the quality of the rifle and finding a load that the rifle likes,makes far more difference than cartridge lengths.

Also, any rifle can be shot with accuracy on the bench.
That statement is simply not true.Many rifles are simply not capable of great accuracy whether shot off of a bench or not.I fired several guns that were not accurate even off of a bench.

I did'nt mean to make this a personal battle.
It isn't a personal battle.However ,when someone makes such generalstatements about cartridge length or recoil or something similar that sounds good in theory,butoften doesn't apply in real life,I will always ask them to back up their statements.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Typical Buck

yea, about shorter cartridge..more accurate...blah, blah. Thats only a general statement of course. Different rifles will always shoot different with different loads and some shoot better than others. Ill take back the "any gun can shoot accurately on a bench" thing as I worded it wrong.
I meant that 2 equal rifles(if that exist) can both be accurate on the bench, though some are just naturally more accurate than others. I'd say it has virtually no effect on real life, given one shooter is better than another and one rifle is better than another.