Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun

Old 06-30-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Shotgun

I need a barrel for a Winchester 1300 Field 12ga.
It doesn't matter the length, I'm gonna cut it down to about 18" anyway (home protection).
Old 06-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun

check out ebay...cheapest there by far
Old 06-30-2006, 03:56 PM

If I were you I would look for a barrel that is the length you want that has some sort of choke, or interchangable chokes. If you cut it down it will have no choke. I have found that even up close a tighter choke is better. I did a test with some medium density fiber board (3/4 inch). The tighter choke had more penitration with game loads.

I also wouldn't suggest cutting the barrel down to an illegal length either. Could just be more problems for you if you had to actually use it.

Paul
Old 06-30-2006, 06:05 PM

I'm not gonna go under thelegal limit. I haven't even looked into the legal limit, need an extra barrel first.

good food for thought on the choke issue. thanks.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:56 PM

I think the legal limit is 18.5 inches, and there is also a limit on over all gun length. I don't know what it is though.

You could probably get away with using a cut off barrel for home defense, but I think a tighter choke would work better. Not to mention it would render the gun useless for anything else. At least if it had a choke you could shoot trap or hunt with it if you really wanted to. Of course it sounds like you already have a barrel for that though.

Here is a link to the post were I did the test with different chokes and shot.

Shot Test Link bottom of the page last post

Basically I shot some 7.5 shot with a I/C choke and it peppered the board at 10 yards. I shot the same load at 5 yards with a full choke and it went thru two pieces of 3/4 inch MDF. And with a super full choke out of a 28 inch barreled pump gun with #6 shot it went thru both boards again at 10 yards. So I think the tighter the choke the better penitration capabilities smaller shot has at closer distances. Basically using a turkey choke for home defense would let you get away with twice the distance as an open choke with the same load.

I don't know what would happen with buckshot, I have never used it and don't really intend on buying any just to play with. Goose loads would probably VERY well though.

Just my opinions any way.

Paul
Old 06-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can do Google search to get Winchester barrels. Some are short enough you would not need to cut. If you find an old one to cut, please keep it over 18", and have a gunsmith turn it unless you have the right lathe. Fired a whole bunch of buckshot in my MP days and based on that experience, I recommend cylinder or improved cylinder, nothing more restrictive. If you will be launching bird shot, tighter chokes will produce tighter patterns. Know a fellow that took a 12 gauge #6 shot in the gut at house range and survived. (!) So, I would go 4 buck or bigger. 'hope you never have to use it.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The point of cutting it down should be manuverability, not shot pattern.

If you want tight groups, leave it longer and get a tight choke. If you want to be able to manuver in tight areas, cut it down.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

i dont know about cutting a barrel yourself. sure its been done but you can find one short enough. but most home protection units have a cylinder choke. figure the farthest shot your getting in a house is a couple yards. you want your pattern to open pretty quick so you can hit your target fairly quick and easy. no blowin holes all through the house like in the movies. get yourself a class 3 license for a REAL short gun and find one with a 14 inch barrel if you want SHORT. mossberg makes one. it might be LE only though im not sure. i know its barrel is way thicker then any normal shotgun. its not just sawed off. alot of options out there. cheap options. expensive options. all depends on what you want. sure you can find a barrel short enough for the job though. probably better then sawing one off.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm pretty sure that the legal limit for shotgun barrel length is 18". Be very careful if you do the amputation yourself and leave it a tad longer, just in case. We don't want another Randy Weaver/ Ruby Ridge incident, now, do we?