Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger! >

Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Old 05-20-2006, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

define "real man"?????????????? cuz i don't wanna dump my .270 without good reason

early
Old 05-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hm. Goes something like.... takes 500 yard shots at mulies across the valley with nothing less than a .338, uses gun oil to comb his hair and when asked for ID, shows his belt buckle. (Mine is VFW life member.)
Old 05-21-2006, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dam-it just when I was going to get my first 6.5x55 You all tell me this now I am really confused. Maybe I will just get a .50 bmg and have all the bases covered.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll start looking to buy way too much gun for what I'm hunting when I start having the need for the little purple pills to perform in another aspect of my life. I personally don't feel inadequate about my equipment when shooting the little .308. Your milage may vary.[:-]
Old 05-21-2006, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

Hm. Goes something like.... takes 500 yard shots at mulies across the valley with nothing less than a .338, uses gun oil to comb his hair and when asked for ID, shows his belt buckle. (Mine is VFW life member.)
thats pretty good LOL......i'll keep my .270 though. if i run into anyone that fits that discription well im huntin i'll just say it's a 30-06 ta save face.

early
Old 05-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will shoot the 45-70 now and then to keep my manhood intact.and my 308.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good Grief-----Here I've been killing deer for decades with a 7mm of some sort or another, and now I find out I should have been using .30 cal. or larger in order to keep "people" from doubting my testostreone levels !!!
PLEASE don't mention any of this to my wife !! She still thinks of me in a "manly" way...... Like Briman said.... Guess the next step is the "purple pill" and a 375 H&H. Off to see Dr. Bonkers...................
Old 05-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do like the 300 magnums for elk and moose,but I consider the .257's plenty for even our large bodied Canadian whitetails.However since many people use one gun for hunting all species,they often carry much larger cartridges than necessary when deer hunting.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

For years I shot the .270 and since 1997 I have been shooting a Ruger 6.5mmSwede with Norma ammo. I could care less what writers think!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats funny......LOL! My biggest cal is .30-06. My dream whitetail rifle is a .257 roberts and right now I shoot a 6.5x55mm at whitetails. I used to read gun mags like mad...... my collection is quit large and the wife hates it. I still go back to certain articles for info, but I stopped buying them b/c I found that I was only reading articles from certain writers. The L8 great Finn Aagaard(rest his soul) could knock anything off its feet with the 7x57 mauser and John Barsness, sure he shoots the .338 win mag but one of his favorite deer rifles was his grandmothers .257 Roberts.
I don't think gun writers are in the pockets of gun manufactures, they are just looking for material. You know something new, we would all get pretty bored reading about the same things over and over. They also write for a large audience and not all of us are alike...... I have magnumitis and shoot mostly smaller(adequate) calibers but will still read an article about the new RUM or WSSM..... try and tell me that the .300wssm will do anything that my .30-06 can't and I'll laugh. I hunt game. I don't look for the longest shot possible....... if you can't hit'em then get closer and I have no right to shoot at game over say 250yds so what is that magnum going to do for me? I haven't had any game question my cal of choice...... it always seems to end the same.
After this I think I'll hang up my .30-06 and shoot the ladies rifles...... just b/c I have nothing to prove!

Quick Reply: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.