Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger! >

Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Old 05-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

if you can't hit'em then get closer and I have no right to shoot at game over say 250yds so what is that magnum going to do for me?
I am glad that you recognize the limits of your shooting abilities.There would be a lot less wounded game if peoplelimited their shots to those that they have the shooting skills and equipmentto make.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:04 PM

Well, then I enjoy my "lady's rifles"fairly frequently and especially this time of year. Also, I feel theyplay a relatively important role in my overall marksmanship maintenance.

I remember the first time, whenas a willowy 14 year oldthat I took my new 270 prairie dog hunting.... it was the only centerfire rifle I had; and my brother's friends were all upset about it; however, it "red-misted" them just fine ---- couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Coyotes, antelope, deer all followed.

Then the 338WinMag came home one day (age 23) and after experimenting on coyotes, antelope, and deer it certainly was different. The best part was always the sound that came back from the far end when the bullet impacted.... sounded like someone whacking the pommel of a saddle with a 10 pound sledge and a full house swing (K-THUD); then followedthe game's nose dive for the dirt.From then on, there was just no comparison, always liked that sound of that bullet impact, followed bywhat immediately happened next.

Then came elk hunting, where we hunted in a "mixed company" of cartridgesfor a time, boy, that was where one couldreally see the differential. One too many tracking jobs later we instituted our 30-06 minimum for elk. However, I still love my "lady's guns" for other quarry and for high repetition sessionsat the range and for field practice. Just another set of tools.
================================================== ==

On a seperate note, just let a woman come onto the forumasking about an elk rifle and watch the general direction that the bulk of the recomendations go,mostly to the "lady's rifles." Perhaps that is what the gun rag writers are observing, thus the "tag". If the shoe fits, then may as wellwear it!

I like my lady's rifles, especially for specific tasks. Good term, kinda like "gallery rifles." Not concerned about the "manhood" issues being implied. Just a label todistinguish one group of rifles from another. No big deal.
================================================== ==

Personally, I think the ladies out their can shoot any damn cartridge they put their mind to; especially if they haven't been corrupted with the American recoil sensitivity/shyness crap. Connie Brooks at 110 pounds shoots a 500 Nitro Express, Jessica Treu shoots a 416 Rem Mag and our very own ChristineB shoots a 375 H&H from time to time.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lucky I have my 350 Rem. Mag or I’d have to get a skirt when hunting...
Old 05-22-2006, 05:42 AM

Shoot what you want and wear what you want...skirt or kilt! I'll stick to my ladies rifle because it does the job and does it efficiently. No more noise or recoil than necessary. If a guy feels he has to use a Howitzer..then go ahead.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:47 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

LOL...Tell that to this bear. Killed with a 6.5X55 swedish mauser. 1991 outside ofDryden, ON.My first bear and my first bear hunt. 350#

The 6.5 x 55SE is a sweet round isn't it?!! Its a little fussy on loading recipes but very much under appreciated. Too bad there are so few models offered in that caliber.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:13 AM
Banned

Yes, I should have never traded it; but it was going to be a hassle to put a scope on it so I traded it. It had a lymen peep on it when I shot the bear. It was my ist high powered rifle.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

its just a ploy to get to those men with "little man syndrome" to go out and buy WSM's and RUM's you know those salesman cartridges......
If you know any writers, they generally don't make a dime on RUM or WSM sales.
I know, but some big game hunting TV persons are sponsored by say winchester or Remington and seems they do like to push the 300 WSM and 300 RUM a bit depending which show you are watching.

but as you know I do shoot a bigbore (45-70) probably wont ever use it on deer but will use it on my bison hunt this year, I might even use it on elk too if I get drawn this year.

Im not bashing any calibers, just really disagree with the title of this thread.....

It should be "Real Men hit their mark with the first shot" if you can do that then honestly it doesnt matter what size gun you are using just aslong as it is suitable for the game you are hunting.

honestly whoever came up with the idea that only real men shoot 30 cals or bigger is real childish. Darn it we are all hopefully adults..... but its beginning to feel a bit like second grade here.......
Old 05-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: ELKampMaster

Well, then I enjoy my "lady's rifles"fairly frequently and especially this time of year. Also, I feel theyplay a relatively important role in my overall marksmanship maintenance.

I remember the first time, whenas a willowy 14 year oldthat I took my new 270 prairie dog hunting.... it was the only centerfire rifle I had; and my brother's friends were all upset about it; however, it "red-misted" them just fine ---- couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Coyotes, antelope, deer all fallowed.

Then the 338WinMag came home one day (age 23) and after experimenting on coyotes, antelope, and deer it certainly was different. The best part was always the sound that came back from the far end when the bullet impacted.... sounded like someone whacking the pommel of a saddle with a 10 pound sledge and a full house swing (K-THUD); then followedthe game's nose dive for the dirt.From then on, there was just no comparison, always liked that sound of that bullet impact, followed bywhat immediately happened next.
So, then, you aresaying that the deer/elk/whatever stood there for a little while after being hit by a mighty .338? Light travels significantly faster than sound, so if they went down immediately upon impact, you'd hear the K-THUD after the game was already down.

Just curious... Who wrote the article that is the subject of this post, and what magazine did it published the article?

If someone is saying that you're not a "real man" if you use anything less than a .30 on deer, I would bet that he is overcompensating for one of his "shortcomings"...
Old 05-22-2006, 09:04 AM

in my best effort to keep this pot stirring, has anyone seen the crap boddington wrote recently about rifles with less than 1 moa being not good enough??!!!! now granted this guy has more expeirience than i will ever have....and has hunted far more places and for more game than im sure i ever will (unless i hit the powerball) but i have never needed more than 1 moa for anything....hell i dont even think half my rifles will come close to that...except my 300 mag....which at least i guess qualifies me as a "man"...albeit maybe a crappy shot
Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

in my best effort to keep this pot stirring, has anyone seen the crap boddington wrote recently about rifles with less than 1 moa being not good enough??!!!!
I haven't bothered to read anything that he has written in several years.

Quick Reply: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.