Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger! >

Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Old 05-20-2006, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Hehe. Have you noticed the propensity of writers to describe cartridges under 30 caliber as lady rifles? (Time to give up that 6.5x55, James! )
Old 05-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Banned

Default RE: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

LOL...Tell that to this bear. Killed with a 6.5X55 swedish mauser. 1991 outside ofDryden, ON.My first bear and my first bear hunt. 350#

Old 05-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

hardcore - great looking bear. Now get that damn bass off the wall an replace it with a walleye

One has to love the hype that the gun writers create. Its all about money to them, whoever comes out with the latest greatest thing gets their publicitiy. Lately that just happnes to be a few calibers over the .30 bore.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

My 6.5x55 thinks its a big MAGNUM. I have never told it any different

Some of the gun writers have a different favorite every month. I quess I should have been a gun writer

One writer though has claimed for many years that his favorite deer rifle is the 250 Savage. Partly because of the custom rifle its chambered in but also its another gentle giant like the 6.5x55. He also likes the 280 and 44 Magnum. That would be Jim Carmicheal.

All that said though , A guy could do worse than a good 30 caliber.Like maybe a 308 A-Bolt.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

If those writers spent as much timehunting as they do bull shipping and trying new guns at the range, they'd realize it doesn't take a 375 H&H to kill gophers.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: James B

My 6.5x55 thinks its a big MAGNUM. I have never told it any different

Some of the gun writers have a different favorite every month. I quess I should have been a gun writer

One writer though has claimed for many years that his favorite deer rifle is the 250 Savage. Partly because of the custom rifle its chambered in but also its another gentle giant like the 6.5x55. He also likes the 280 and 44 Magnum. That would be Jim Carmicheal.

All that said though , A guy could do worse than a good 30 caliber.Like maybe a 308 A-Bolt.
WE p'oed a guneditor that was a moderator on another forum because we made the statement that "Gun editors rave about whatever gun they happen to be shooting since the gun company happens to be paying for their hunting trip and that they had better write something good or the free hunting trips are over with." A week later I proved this point as this moderator and I got in a heated discussion over whether a Savage was an attractive gun or not. He stated" Attractive, I think not, taking a Savage hunting is like taking an ugly girl to prom. She only looks good in the dark." Then I found an advertisement on Savages website that used him as a quote when he did a gun review for a Savage mod 12 varmint rifle.. Here is his quote," The Savage is an attractive rifle with a stainless heavy bbl and a beefy laminate stock." Needless to say he didn't like anybody standing up to him as he was a tyrantalso and we didn't get along to good....I now take gun reviews in magazines with a grain of salt.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gun editors rave about whatever gun they happen to be shooting since the gun company happens to be paying for their hunting trip and that they had better write something good or the free hunting trips are over with."
That pretty much sums it up.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been reading about guns and hunting since I learned to read and just looked at the pictures before that. After while you get to know where they stand and their basic beliefs. Learning from others is supposed to set us above the other animals. I take a lot of what I read then test it in the field. You can get a lot of good ideas from them and some of them do know thier stuff. Its not to hard to determin when they are reporting facts and when they are advertising. Thats part of how they earn the check. Its a job and sometimes, a very enjoyable job. I made my living selling my knowledge and wood working skills. They do the same thing, their knowledge and skill to write it iin a form that people want to read.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

its just a ploy to get to those men with "little man syndrome" to go out and buy WSM's and RUM's you know those salesman cartridges......
Old 05-20-2006, 07:03 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

its just a ploy to get to those men with "little man syndrome" to go out and buy WSM's and RUM's you know those salesman cartridges......
If you know any writers, they generally don't make a dime on RUM or WSM sales.

Quick Reply: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.