HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2006, 11:00 AM
sandilands
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Real Men shoot .30 cal or bigger!

Thats funny......LOL! My biggest cal is .30-06. My dream whitetail rifle is a .257 roberts and right now I shoot a 6.5x55mm at whitetails. I used to read gun mags like mad...... my collection is quit large and the wife hates it. I still go back to certain articles for info, but I stopped buying them b/c I found that I was only reading articles from certain writers. The L8 great Finn Aagaard(rest his soul) could knock anything off its feet with the 7x57 mauser and John Barsness, sure he shoots the .338 win mag but one of his favorite deer rifles was his grandmothers .257 Roberts.
I don't think gun writers are in the pockets of gun manufactures, they are just looking for material. You know something new, we would all get pretty bored reading about the same things over and over. They also write for a large audience and not all of us are alike...... I have magnumitis and shoot mostly smaller(adequate) calibers but will still read an article about the new RUM or WSSM..... try and tell me that the .300wssm will do anything that my .30-06 can't and I'll laugh. I hunt game. I don't look for the longest shot possible....... if you can't hit'em then get closer and I have no right to shoot at game over say 250yds so what is that magnum going to do for me? I haven't had any game question my cal of choice...... it always seems to end the same.
After this I think I'll hang up my .30-06 and shoot the ladies rifles...... just b/c I have nothing to prove!