Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Sighting in a shotgun >

Sighting in a shotgun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting in a shotgun

Old 10-29-2002, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sighting in a shotgun

hey guys i wanted to sight in my shotgun and make sure im hitting pretty good with it since phesant season starts on sat. i have a hiviz sight on there and i was wondering do i need to move the back sight forwards and backwards to change the shot placement???
Old 10-29-2002, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting in a shotgun

For upland bird hunting, there is no need to "sight in a shotgun". If you have a rear sight on it, such as what you may have used for turkey hunting, take it off. To shoot birds in flight, you will not be aiming, such as you would for turkeys. You can "pattern" your shotgun, to determine it's impact point and shot density for different yardages and determine what shells give the best pattern density if you'd like. But to shoot birds on wing, you shouldn't be concentrating on the front bead of your gun. Both eyes should be focused on the target, to quickly determine its speed and range and then naturaul reaction should give you quick assessment of the lead needed to kill the bird. If, when shooting birds on wing, you are seeing your sights, you're aiming, and you will miss many times over. The choke you should be using for pheasant will be much more open than your turkey choke, and will not require you to be directly on target. Hope this helps, and Good Luck!
Old 10-30-2002, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

..Just shoot some at 20 yards,at cardboard paper just
to check and see if it is hitting dead center,if not?
adjust sight if you can.....

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 10-30-2002, 05:43 AM

Where your cheek hits the stock determines your rear sight, practice, practice practice. being consistant matters, you can put a piece of tape on the stock so you will know where your cheek goes.