Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
looking for a new gun >

looking for a new gun

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

looking for a new gun

Old 10-29-2002, 12:58 PM

Default looking for a new gun

hey guys, i havn't been around in a while. to busy with stuff and i just got back from an ex in nunavut. that was awesome up there! anyways i have a 7mm rem mag and a 45/70 and now i'm looking to get a new gun. i want something smaller then the 7mm so i'm thinking 260 remington. i've shot one at the bench and the recoil is super sweet and the rifle i was shooting was very accurate as well. i know a guy who hunts blackies with his 260 so i know it will do just fine on deer and such. i know some people consider the 7mm-08 to the the closes thing to the perfect deer cartridge but i already have a 7mm mag and i'd like something with a smaller bore. what do u guys think about the 260 rem or even the 6.5x55? deer season starts nov 11 up here so i gotta make up my mind soon scope will be a leupold of course and as for the actual rifle i was thinking a remington mountain rifle or maybe a model 7. the rifle i was shooting at the bench was a custom build 260 so i'm not sure how accurate remingtons are. do any of u guys have a 260 in a remington? how has it performed for u on game? is your rifle accurate? are u happy with it?

i'd appreciate some feedback from ya all!

cheers
Old 10-29-2002, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: looking for a new gun

I have one in a Ruger MK11 love it have taken several deer with it
Shot one buck in the throat facing me at 110 yds.
last year.Have a 30/06 in the Mtn, remington shoots extra well also
so the 260 in the Mtn rifle should do good also.A friend has
the 260 in the Rem BDL and it shoots a little better groups than mine does,but I don't think Rem offers it in the BDL anymore but not sure.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg
Old 10-29-2002, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome back PB. If I didn't already have a 243 Win and a 7mm-08 Rem I would be thinking seriously about a 260 Rem. Hard to go wrong off of a 308 Win case. Since I don't really need a 260 Rem, I am debating now over a 25-06 Rem or a 270 Win. Then again I may get a 260 Rem, 308 Win and a 358 Win just so I have the 08 family.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-29-2002, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

I have quite a bit of experience with 6.5mm cartridges (it is a pet number around here), mostly the .260 Rem, 6.5mm/.284 and the 6.5mm-06. All I can tell you is they kill game far better than you can even imagine and all are very accurate. I haven't much experience with the 6.5x55 Swedish, but it can be handloaded to .260 Rem velocities, and it may be the most accurate of all. If you're looking for a deer/antelope/occasional elk round, look no further than the .260 Rem, or any other 6.5mm cartridge.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 10-30-2002, 12:18 AM

i was working up there in rankin inlet with the military. we did get a chance to go ice fishing with the rangers up there and i caught some nice arctic greylings and a couple lake trout. we did go out seal hunting one day but unfortunatly we didn't see any. we also went carribou hunting 1 day and we saw this huge bull but the only way i would have been able to bag one for the rangers (they keep the meat but i get the antlers and i pull the trigger) was if it was a female. they don't shoot the bulls this time of the year cause they say the meat tasts nasty. we could smell that guy a mile away and he had no fear. he just stood there and looked at us like he was the king of the world. people are very friendly up there but things are super expensive! 4 liters (1 gallon) of milk cost $14 canadian that's about $10 USD. no trees either up there. all just rocks and snow. at least they don't have trouble tracking the animals they shoot lol!! btw i thought i would mention that they use 223 for everything up there except polar bears and musk ox. it was a great time up there but i'm glad to be back home.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:02 AM

prarie boy...

if you already own a 7mm rem mag. i would look at the 25-06rem and the 260rem. both seem to be very accurate,light recoil, and perfect for deer.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:20 AM

I have both a RUGER 77MKII in 6.5X55 and a Remington model 7 in .260 they both shoot very well and the girl friend shot a 8 point last fall with the 20 at about 85yd droped it in its tracks. I think either is great as a deer rifle and both are low recoil and accurate. Im very happy with both guns.

3DNWV