Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help sighting in my shotgun! >

Help sighting in my shotgun!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help sighting in my shotgun!

Old 11-08-2006, 01:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help sighting in my shotgun!

I shoot a Winchester 1300 12 ga. pump w/ a rifled cantilver barrel topped with a simmons fixed 4x shotgun scope and use winchester platinum tip 2 3/4" slugs. For some reason I seem to be having terrible groups. I think it is the shooter and not the gun (I tend to flinch anticipating the kick). Any helpful suggestions? How do you breath when shooting, trigger pull?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Default RE: Help sighting in my shotgun!

Considerbuying aslip onlimbsaver recoil pad if you flinch a lot. I wearmy heavy hunting jacket to absorb some recoil while shooting at the range. I make sureI amon a solid rest like sandbags. Site in at 50 yds as opposed to 100 so you can get a good site picture. If all else fails, trysome remington copper solids. I have a winchester 120 smoothbore and was suprised to find that barrel warming has some effect on my shots. Every time I would let it cool, my zero would be dead on. Not something I would of thought would happen with a shotgun barrel, but have reproduced it many times. Best of luck.

KEJ
Old 11-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same shotgun and have good success with the Remington Copper solid. Also try the recoil pad as previously suggested or the strap on Past recoil pad. The Past has made a big difference when shooting my firearms. I find it also makes a difference when using muffs or ear plugs when shooting, just in case you're not using them. Good luck...
Old 11-09-2006, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Asstated, sight in at 50 yards a little high. Wind plays a significant factor with slugs so sighting in at 100 yards may throw off the slug and may also be responsible for erratic groups. Also, clean after 3-5 shots. Scrub the bore well with a brush and solvent to get the plastic wad and fouling out. This too can have an affect on groups.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:32 PM

Try a different slug, I couldn't get the platinum tips to group out of my shotgun.
Usew a rest and some padding if your flinching.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I use copper solids myself and get excellant groups at 75 yards, thats what shoot the best out of my 1300. Its a rifled barrel w/ iron sights.
As far as your breathing, take a breath and exhale about half and hold it, before you sqeeze the trigger. As far as you flinching, try dryfiring, if you have one of those dryfire rounds (they sell them in Cabelas) but put a Quarter on the top of your barrel near the muzzel and dryfire and dont let the Quarter fall off then when you get that down do that with your eyes closed. These will help with breathing control and flinching. Just have to practice cause it wont cure it overnite. Good Luck!! (these were sometricks they taught us in the service)