Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pistol Killing Power >

Pistol Killing Power

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pistol Killing Power

Old 05-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pistol Killing Power

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

If I'm buying a handgun to carry for backup in bear country then I would "steal" a used 44 and fill it with quality bullets like those from Barnes. If I were searching for a revolver that I had full intentions of outright hunting with (meaning I wasn't going to also carry a rifle at the same time) then yes I would look too the 454 or 460 for their added horsepower and considerable range increase.

Someday I plan on actually getting into handgun hunting (I have killed deer with my 45s and 357s but that was while rifle hunting and they happend to get within bowrange) and from what I have seen the big 460 from the S&W Performance Center gets the bill. The extra barrel length and built in scope rail makes it a dandy revolver for scoping up and popping deer at long range with! I also like the option of cheap ammo and plinkin around with 45s. I also realize that the 454 ammo from Freedom Arms comes awfully close too 460 performance, so if I had a strong 454 I wouldn't "upgrade" too the 460.

BLAZE AWAY!!!
RA
Well said RA
Old 05-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I LOVE TO USE THE WORD NEED WHEN IT COMES TO MY OWN USE.as IN I SELDOM FIND A NEED.. Everyone else can use what you want them to.. Enough will always be enough for me..
Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I LOVE TO USE THE WORD NEED WHEN IT COMES TO MY OWN USE.as IN I SELDOM FIND A NEED.. Everyone else can use what you want them to.. Enough will always be enough for me..
But is enough is what you need or is what you need enough??? I need a bit more that what is reasonable, as usual.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

yes, and no. I havent even shot a pistol before, or a deer but it is quite obvious. A .454 has more power, but with a good shot you can kill a deer with a .22, not that its legal.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't. If I can't do it with the 44 mag, I will take up knitting or tiddelly winks.i If I did need more horses in a handgun, it will be the 375 JDJ.