Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Pistol Killing Power >

Pistol Killing Power

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Pistol Killing Power

Old 04-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Pistol Killing Power

Does a 454 kill deer any faster than a 44 Mag?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:57 PM

Default RE: Pistol Killing Power

The question shouldnt be will it kill any faster. There are cartridges smaller than the .44 magnum that will kill as quick as the .44 or faster if a deer is hit in the proper place. Its done all the time but I think the .44 mag should be the minimum cartridge used for deer. I used a .357 magnum once and it killed but not well enough for me to use it again.
The .454 ballistically is far superior though. It has more velocity, larger bullet diameter, larger bullet weights, but all this comes at a cost of recoil. If you cant shoot it well it might as well be a .44 mag. If you can handle it then go for it. You can shoot .45 long colts from it too. I shot a raging bull once with full power loads and it wasnt bad at all due to the muzzlebreak. I myself am looking to get a new 15" ported .500 S&W barrel for my Encore. Now this is power.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

A deer hit in the vitals with either of these will be awful dead. The 44 Mag kills deer and much bigger game as well with authority. I have shot quite a few deer with the 44 mag and they went down in their tracks. Is the 454 better for deer? Not IMO. Its bigger, of that there is no doubt.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:44 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ths78

Does a 454 kill deer any faster than a 44 Mag?
I would say yes. Is this a trick question?

I have shot deer thru both lungs with 1500fps 240gr load and same with a 250gr 2000fps load. There was a huge difference in wounds.

Also, you got range to consider. If you hit a deer at 100 yards with a 454, its like hitting it at 15 with a 44 mag.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I own a Freedom Arms in 454 and 44. In factory form the 454 has 80 more horse power which means the temporary wound cavity is much greater. In my limited experience the mulies shot with the 454 drop much faster. Most dropped in their tracks. Any deer I saw shot with a factory 44 jumped up on the shot and ran(no shoulder hits). When the 44 is loaded to its max in the Freedom Arms (accuracy is erratic and bullets come apart and I would not dare to use it in my S&W 649) it pretty much does the same thing as the 454. I think the larger temporary wound cavity of the 454 seems to shut down the deers central nervous system at close range.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer is facing away from you and you shoot it in the A$$, YES the 454 will kill faster providing you can handle the 454.
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454, I can shoot much better groups with it using 45C ammo than the harder recoiling 454 ammo. With practice I am improving and I find a good pair of Uncle Mikes shooting gloves as well as aftermarket grips helps.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no such thing as deader.......

Shoot the largest handgun you can handle.....and for a lot of folks it's the 38 special but of course they won't admit it.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Every deer that I have ever shot with the 44 Mag dropped in its tracks. I guess I don't know how to kill them any faster. I guess the could drop just before the shot.

Both guns should work well.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Banned

No it's all about shot placement.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 AM

The 454 would probably give you more range, as far as killing faster it would depend on where you hit it and the design of the bullet. I have had deer die faster with my bow than with my slug gun shooting a 600 grn slug and delivering more than 2000 ft/lbs of energy.

And as it was eluded to above, it would depend on how well you shoot the gun. If it is too much gun for you and you don't shoot it well or are afraid of it then you may be better off using the 44 mag. I personally think the .357 is alright as long as you keep the range close. I think it makes a nice weapon if keep the deer within bow ranges. If I were to get a handgun to hunt with it it most likely be a nice .357, but I doubt I would try to use it beyond 35 or 40 yards.

You could also consider some of the pistols that shoot centerfire cartridges depending on where you live.

Paul

Quick Reply: Pistol Killing Power

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.