Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Killing Power?? >

Killing Power??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Killing Power??

Old 01-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Killing Power??

The downloaded pictures are of a man who works for the US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy emptied his 7mm Magnum semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport to remind tourists of the risks involved when in the wild.
Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established that this bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours including a missing hiker. The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (the Service ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body), it only wounded the bear and probably angered it immensely.
The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker. The other body has not been found.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/eldeguello/Paw.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/eldeguello/TheBear.jpg

Think about this:
If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's navel when he stood upright. The bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look in the bedroom windows.
oo: oo: oo:

IMO, this was not a "grizzly", but a coastal/island Brownie! If 1600 pounds, it is close to a world record weight-wise. Of course, its' skull measurements weren't given.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:25 AM

Default RE: Killing Power??

Here is the real info on it.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

It was a brownie, and it was 10.5' and weighed 1,000-1,200 pounds.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

No Matter what the story, I'd hate to be looking at that thing at 10 yards with only the guns I own
Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Man, like the article till I got to the third picture![8D]

Ok guys, go ahead and use your .308's
Old 01-12-2006, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep either way thats a big bear - id rather not mess with him or poke him with a stick.

(Whats the diffence between a brownie& a grizz? one lives inland& one on the coast & there diffences in diets? More fish for the coastal bears? Or are they geneticly different to?)
Old 01-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Knightia

Yep either way thats a big bear - id rather not mess with him or poke him with a stick.

(Whats the diffence between a brownie& a grizz? one lives inland& one on the coast & there diffences in diets? More fish for the coastal bears? Or are they geneticly different to?)

Brown vs. Grizzly Bear -We’ve all heard these names, sometimes used synonymously for the same animal. What is the difference between a “brownie” and a “grizzly”, if any?
1) It is widely accepted in the guiding industry that browns live along the coastal regions, within 100 miles of the shoreline.
2) Grizzlies live in the interior regions of the state, or north of the 62nd parallel.

**Brown & grizzly are genetically the same animal. Brown bears grow physically larger, primarily because they live in a milder climate & eat salmon all summer

Old 01-12-2006, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Reb for that info- one of those things i wondered about & now i know the answer
Old 01-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Knightia

Thanks Reb for that info- one of those things i wondered about & now i know the answer

Browns get more Omega3
Old 01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
DM

1) It is widely accepted in the guiding industry that browns live along the coastal regions, within 100 miles of the shoreline.
I don't know what the guides are saying, buy my biologist friends in Alaska always told me it was "50" miles from the coast, not 100.

Drilling Man
Old 01-13-2006, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

Here is the real info on it.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

It was a brownie, and it was 10.5' and weighed 1,000-1,200 pounds.
The slain bear shown in these images was shot to death in October 2001 by 22-year-old airman Ted Winnen stationed at Eielson Air Force Base near Fairbanks, Alaska. His encounter with the enormous ursine took place while he was deer hunting on Hinchinbrook Island in Prince William Sound, as he described to an Anchorage Daily News reported in December 2001:

Amazing! I hunted bear on Hinchinbrook Island, and all I got was a deer!

I figured this bear was a coastal Brownie all along! And # 1,000 is a more realistic weight! I believe the record weight bear was killed by Harold McCracken in the early part of the 20th Century. (1916??) It weighed over 1600 [pounds, and he shot it with a M95 Winchester in .30/40 Krag caliber.

Quick Reply: Killing Power??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.