Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How accurate do you feel you need to be? >

How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Old 04-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Duckbutter I live within 3 miles of a public range and almost no one shoots offhanded. Shoooting offhanded is a fun challenge...I very seldom get a solid rest so most of my practice is like yours as well. West Virginia timber doesnt lend itself to the 250 yard standing shots too well. Them offhanded group shots sound fun. Nobody will mess with it around here.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea we get together and do shoots. Rifle and Handgun. The only rules are no slings and all centerfire. No scopes on handguns. Mainly the rules are set so everyone has a rifle or handgun that is kinda equal. We shoot the handguns at 25 and the rifles at 50yrds. All offhanded, the benchrest stuff is fun but itshas alot to do with who has the most invested in the gun then pure shooting ability most times. Some who come and dont have handgunsand just borrow someones since its not as much the gun as the shooter.

We shoot at targets where the inside ring is worth 10 and as the rings go out they are worth less points,5 points on the outside ring. We shoot 5 shots each round and its 2$ a round from each person and the winner(whoever has most pts) takes all $ for the round. We usually do 5-10 rounds with each type of gun depending on what people want to do. Most times we throw in a open sighted 22lr round or 2 for fun. Nothing is in stone and some rounds we shooot just for fun and not $.

Here are the targets we use for both. http://www.protargets.com/targets/one-inch-center-1.gif

After the money rounds weget shotguns out and throw some clay birds and usually someone buys a big bag of potatos and we throw those up to shoot them with the 410s. Its all on my property and its just friends or friends of friends. Its not sanctioned or anything like that.

Usually afterword we sit around with some cold beverages and discuss how we all need to practice morebut it has helped me a ton on shooting offhanded.(which Im still no expert at) I still look for a rest if possible but sometime you just dont have time.

Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that sounds like a fun deal. Shooting offhanded is one of them deals where ya can never practice too much...but ya can darn sure fall back to square one in a hurry if ya quit for a while.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the accuracy depends on the game and the realistic possibility of shooting at extended ranges.

Last night, I was out hunting groundhogs with my 22-250. On this particular farm, shots can range out to 500 yards (actually longer than that, but that's my max range). So, if you presume that a standing hog is 6" wide, and maybe 16" tall, if you dial in on him dead center, you have a 3" margin for error left and right, 8" vertically. So, at 100 yards, if you're shooting a 1" group, you're usually within .5" of center. At 500 yards, that puts you within a 2.5" radius with absolutely no wind. So, the moral of the story here is that if you're shooting 500 yards at a 6" target, you need a 1" group @ 100 consistently. You'll need quite a scope as well. I saw two hogs, one at 260 and the other at 190 - 2 shots, 2 kills.

Now, I deer hunt in some brushy areas where you couldn't possibly shoot over 100 yards. A buck's vitals are roughly the size of a milk jug. So, I'm very content to take my 30.06 carbine out there, or the .32 Win. Special.Both areabout a 3" shooters at 100 yards. Plenty good enough for the situation. 3-9 Bushnell isup to the task.

For deer hunting open fields, open woods, you have to be ready to shoot out to 400, so once again, you're trying to get a sub 1.5" gun in your hands.

Seriously, you don't need a .5 MOA tack driver to hunt deer with. But, you'll need something pretty close if you're trying to shoot deer at 300+.

You just need an accurate enough gun that when you take aim, and if you make a crisp, clean trigger break, and you're held center on target, that you get a vitalhit. For small game, almost any hit is a vital hit. For big game, you have to impact some vital organs. Common sense and experience will tell you what your realistic shots will be - just make sure have the right gun in your hand at the right time.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Vapodog, my rifles have to shoot at least 1-1/4" three shot groupsat100yds or they won't be around very long. Right now i have loads worked up that will do under an inch in my rifles with one rifle that will do just under a 1/2" if i'm having a good day and do my part. Some days i shoot great and some days i'm terrible. One thing for sure, all my rifles will outshoot me anyday!
Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good point shooting out that far the gun needs to be more accurate but at 500 you have so much wind drift you cant say that if a 5 shot group is 1" at 100 then the wind gets it it'll sox inches at 500.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to be accurate enough to kill coyotes out to 300 yards. Usually there is enough wind blowing that anything past that is just a guess, and I'd prefer not to guess wrong and educate one. Both of my bolt guns are more than capable enough to do this.

With my CETME, it is only accurate enough to shoot coyotes out to maybe 100. About the best I can do with it is 4-5", offhand or from the bench it makes no difference. But for what I use it for, it works great. When I'm out working on something with the 4-wheeler, pickup, tractor, or whatever, it is a great gun to carry around just in case I run across something. For walking down in the thick brush on the creeks after hogs, it can't be beat. It has a lot of power and is quick handling, so when a herd of hogs appears 10 yards away, I can start putting them down in a hurry. Same thing for my Marlin 30-30. Although it is extremely accurate, it doesn't have to be for what I use it for.

My pistol will shoot great groups at 25. Just not with me shooting it.[8D]
Old 04-20-2006, 07:26 PM

I want my rifles to be pretty acurrate. I don't keep a rifle that I can't satisfied with. A whole lot of it is the shooter.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:21 PM

when talkin on this and other forums i was thinkin i was shootin around 3'' at 100yrds with my 270 and 06. when i read this post i had ta go to the bedroom ta get my wife fer a phone call and i saw my targets behind the nightstand. im under an inch for my 06 and under 2'' for my 270 at 100 yards. the 270 was my error and could do better (my shootin just ain't alway's so good).....but i also do test shots at 200 yrds and on 4x and 9x scope power; and first shot/cold barrel. 200 yrds is as far as im gonna shoot. i should practice field positions but i don't. i should shoot more but i don't. but i will when my domestic responsibilties settle a little. probly should shoot three shot or five shot groups too. but i only shoot two shot groups. someday i'll stop messin around and do things right.

early
Old 05-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Banned

I don't own any gun that won't shoot 1'' or better groups at 100 yds. If it's not a shooter I get rid of it. I don't play with them or have the bed glassed or pressure applied to the barrel. No patience for that; I just get rid of it. I own a lot of Savagesand they all shoot great. More power to those of you that tweak a gun though. I have been lucky. The only gun I have gotten rid of lately that I can think of was a pencil barreled .204 ruger mod77 ruger. Terrible shooter. I bought it for my wife and it would not group better then 1 1/2''-2'' at 100yds.

Quick Reply: How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.