Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How accurate do you feel you need to be? >

How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Old 04-18-2006, 12:33 PM

Default How accurate do you feel you need to be?

For large game if I can consistantly hit an 8" circle out to 100 yards from a hunting position, I'm happy.

I don't think I've ever even seen a deer in the woods that was further than 50 yards away.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:49 PM

Default RE: How accurate do you feel you need to be?

8" what? No I like a very accurate gun. All my guns shoot sub 3/4 MOA off a bench or they don't stay around long. I will lap lugs, bed, free float, do trigger jobs etc. and if that doesn't bring them around I either trade them at a gun show or jerk the barrel off and use the action for a custom job. I may be more particular than need be but its my choice.

True more whitetail are shot inside of 100 yardsthan outside of that range, but I like options. I would hate to pass up a "monster" because I didn't feel my weapon was accurate enough.

If you can't shoot 2 MOA from field positions with an accurate weapon then you/I need to do more field practice.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:54 PM

If I can hit a 6" circle @ 100 yards(standing or nealing) than thats good enough for me. I like to staple ballons to stuff at different ranges and practice shooting at them. You know when you hit because it pops. And thats about the vital area on a big game critter.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:38 PM

I like my guns to be capable of 1 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I can live with 2.5 inches if that is all I can get. I'm talking about off from a bench in good weather though, not off hand.

If I have a gun that will not group better than 3 inches after experimenting with different loads I will not be owning it very long.

Something to consider is that you need to be able to shoot that well in the first place. I hear many people complain about a gun not being accurate and it ends up not being the gun. Some don't take the time to find ammo the gun likes or just don't shoot that well to begin with. If you can't shoot one inch groups or better don't expect your rifle to.

In all honestly if I could shoot 5 inch groups at 100 yards off hand I would be happy. I just don't shoot that well off hand. However I don't do it very often, even when hunting I normally have something to rest the gun on.

Paul
Old 04-18-2006, 02:38 PM

I guess I take alittle after both extremes. I want to know that the gun will shoot 1MOA or better, granted there are some gun/cartridge combinations that just won't give this...when that's the case you have to sit back and make sure it won't be an issue for your hunting needs.

BUT if the shooter (that's me) can get a 3" group...then whatever position/range combination that gives that group is what I consider my max. True, vitals may be bigger...but I've already learned that when thinks heat up my shooting has a dendency to go south.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:59 PM

Depends on the gun, and the intended use!

For whitetails, if I'm using my 20 bore flint fusil, 3 in ch groups at 50 yards are ok by me. Flint rifle, 1 to 1/2 inch groups at 50 will work. Leverguns, I'm ok with 2 to 3inch groups at 100 yards. For boltguns, 11/4 inches or less at 100 yards.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:01 PM
DM

For large game if I can consistantly hit an 8" circle out to 100 yards from a hunting position, I'm happy.
Anyone who "actually tries" to see what range they should hold there shots to, under "hunting conditions" get's my vote! Good for you!

As you practise more, you will shrink that circle....

Drilling Man
Old 04-18-2006, 03:07 PM

8"?? i like to get my 22lr down to 1.5-2" at 100yards.... my big bores depending on what cal it is must hold 1.5 or less out to atleast 100yards, most are sighted in at 200yards. My varmit gun 22-250 is 300yards @ 1.5". My bow has to shoot better than 8" for me to trust in in droping game. i like it to hit in 1" circles out to 35yards =)
Old 04-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

With a good rest, my guns have to shoot three shots that I can cover with a poker chip at 100 yards. As far as field conditions, I shoot laying down or sitting with a solid rest like from a blind so I only shoot from solid positions. If I can't get good and steady, I will pass that shot up every time. I hunt from ambush points so I am usually ready for the shot before the time comes. When I shot hundreds of rounds every week, I could shoot off hand planty well to hit deer well at 100 yards. I don't shoot near that much any more so I need to get a good restin position. Its been years since I have shot more that 250 yards at an animal.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you limit your shots toa maximum of 100 yards,thatwillusually provide clean kills.However if you shoot farther than 100 yards,the results will be missed or worse yet wounded animals.Under my hunting conditions,that kind of grouping would not be acceptable at all since my average shot is around 200 yards and can exceed 400 yards.

Quick Reply: How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.