Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How accurate do you feel you need to be? >

How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How accurate do you feel you need to be?

there's two things.....
1 the accuracy of the rifle
2 the ability of the shooter to shoot it .....

the last being a rarely discussed item.

My guns have to shoot 1.25 inch 3-shot groups or they get traded off.

I'm not a good shooter unless I find a rest so I'm usually near a tree for a rest. Usually one can find a decent rest to assist the shooting.

Strangely enough shooting deer on the run has been a specialty for me and it seems swinging a gun don't require a rest.......

However, most shooting past 50 yards I find a rest for sure.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as I can get 1-1/2” or less at 100 yards it’ll work for me...
Old 04-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

When he says hunting positions, I dont think he means benchrest. Id like to see 3" 5 shot groups at 100 yards offhanded. I dont think many hunters even practice offhanded shooting that much.

I have monthly shoots at my place and they are all offhanded(no sling help either) with scope. We shoot at round 8" targets at 50 yards,some of the guys have a hard time hitting the target all5 times(we fire 5 shots per round)Unless you consistantly practice offhand shooting much better then a 6" group at 100yrds with a hunting caliber(222(ish)+ centerfire) is exceptional a 3" 5shot group is unbelievable. IMO

Off the bench if a gun is under 3" at 100 its plenty accurate for Whitetails. Any worse then that Id start to wonder if something was wrong with the gun or try some different ammo.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow!!! Think about it for a min. if you are within 8 in on a good hold what happenbs if you are off a little a miss or worst a wounded animal. I do a lot of off season shooting and I shoot my hunting guns all the time. I want to be able to shoot my big bore guns as well as the factory ammo lets me. And when it comes to Muzzle loader its all one me. Since I make the load of powder and bullet combo I'm not happy until I get a load that allows me one hole shot groups. You really should get out and work your guns more. The more you shoot the better you will know your guns and the better you will shoot. We owe it to the animals we hunt to do the best we can. Mike
Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

When he says hunting positions, I dont think he means benchrest. Id like to see 3" 5 shot groups at 100 yards offhanded. I dont think many hunters even practice offhanded shooting that much.

I have monthly shoots at my place and they are all offhanded(no sling help either) with scope. We shoot at round 8" targets at 50 yards,some of the guys have a hard time hitting the target all5 times(we fire 5 shots per round)Unless you consistantly practice offhand shooting much better then a 6" group at 100yrds with a hunting caliber(222(ish)+ centerfire) is exceptional a 3" 5shot group is unbelievable. IMO

Off the bench if a gun is under 3" at 100 its plenty accurate for Whitetails. Any worse then that Id start to wonder if something was wrong with the gun or try some different ammo.
I guess I should have specified offhand rather than hunting positions. Of course, everyone's hunting situation is different. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the terrain of northern New England, but with the exception of a few farms, the land is densly wooded. I can rarely see 50 yards, let alone shoot one hundred. I also do a lot of tracking and still hunting (I've seen more deer this way than sitting in one spot) so any shot I'll end up taking will be offhand at close range.

I'll concede that if I were in an are were I was hunting from a tree stand overlooking a field, I would tailor my shooting practice accordingly.

I also concede that I'm not an awesome shot so I need to get close. Don't get me wrong, I like to shoot but I also like to practice getting in close to animals before they wise up. It's kind of cool and I'm getting a little better at it every season.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 AM

Thats what makes the world go 'round.....variety. Just because I'm a accuracy nut doesn't mean that its suited for everyone. I get a certain amount of enjoyment from making rifles as accurate as I can with my skills, but that isn't suited for everyone.

Can you kill a deer/elk/whatever with a 2+ MOA gun? Certainly. Would I carry that same weapon in the woods? Never. Can I shoot a sub 2 MOA group offhanded at 100 yards without the benefit of a sling? NOT BLOODY LIKELY. With a sling, on a calm day, with plenty of time I think I could shoot a 4 inch group offhanded at 100 yardspretty consistantly. But, I only shoot offhanded as my last options and only if its a very reasonable distance.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:00 AM

I'm content as long as I can consistently hit one of those smaller paper plates at 200 yards, because 300+ yard shots here are not uncommon.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Thats what makes the world go 'round.....variety. Just because I'm a accuracy nut doesn't mean that its suited for everyone. I get a certain amount of enjoyment from making rifles as accurate as I can with my skills, but that isn't suited for everyone.

Can you kill a deer/elk/whatever with a 2+ MOA gun? Certainly. Would I carry that same weapon in the woods? Never. Can I shoot a sub 2 MOA group offhanded at 100 yards without the benefit of a sling? NOT BLOODY LIKELY. With a sling, on a calm day, with plenty of time I think I could shoot a 4 inch group offhanded at 100 yardspretty consistantly. But, I only shoot offhanded as my last options and only if its a very reasonable distance.
Then if you are shooting offhanded then you are carrying around a gun that is 4"MOA(technically). Which is outstanding shooting offhanded I must say.
ALthough calm day and plenty of time arent always part of a hunt.

I usually work on my reloads until they are less 1"MOA at max load or beyond. Someguns dont shoot that good though(or I cant get them to shoot that good). I have a Ruger Deerfield Carbine that at best does 2.5" off bench at 100yrds which is still more then enough for deer sized game. Some handgunscan't shoot 1" groups but are fine for hunting. I agree that accuracy is very important but realistically for hunting you don't need one hole groups.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now I want 1" or better at 100 off the bench. I know to 100 or so offhand it just isn't a problem making a shot, but I always try to use a lean or some rest if possible. I hunt on the ground exclusively with elbows on my knees&feel very confident. I also use home made carrybi-pods for areas where elbows on the knees doesn't work as well. (stoney points access. also work and are easy to tote).

This works for me but each individual should evaluate their rifle, skills and situation to come up with what they feel they need!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I probably shoot as accurately as I need to, but not as accurately as I want to. I'msorta proud of the fact that a couple of years ago I made a nice shot offhand on a deer about 150 yards out usingmy old 1891 Mauser with iron sights. Wouldn't have been possible, though, had it not been for my time at the bench and offhand with that rifle. When I finally decided to spend some time shooting it instead of letting it sitrustingawayin the closet I learned things about it that I had never known in the 30 something years I had owned it since my grandfather died and left it to me. The most important thing I learned is that it shoots about4 or 5incheshigh and about 2 inches to the left at 100 yards. Years ago I missed a doe with this rifle precisely becauseI didn't spend any time practicing with it and didn't know where it shot at any distance.Pure rifle accuracy is important, but honing your shooting skills and becoming more familiar with your rifle through practice is equally important I think.

Quick Reply: How accurate do you feel you need to be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.