Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need help on Picking Savage Caliber >

Need help on Picking Savage Caliber

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need help on Picking Savage Caliber

Old 02-10-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Need help on Picking Savage Caliber

Ok, here's the deal. My gun experience is very limited. I have never shot a large caliber rifle. however, I have been reading this forum over the last couple months and have decided that I would like to get into hunting/shooting. I live in florida and would be mainly focussing on hogs and whitetail for now...but would like to eventually shoot larger game which is why I have chosen to go w/ a Savage 30-06. The only other caliber I'm debating over is the .270 only because of the recoil issue. So here's my question...Is the recoil of the 30-06 that much greater than the .270? Would this be an uncomfortable caliber for me (someone who has never shot anything other than a .22) to shoot? I'm about 6'0 and 205lbs. What do you guys think?
Old 02-10-2006, 02:12 PM

Default RE: Need help on Picking Savage Caliber

Both will do you good. Shot placement is the key factor! 30.06 has far more bullit designs, weights, and styles than you'll ever shoot. I my opinion, the 30.06 is more versital in the over all world. The .270 has great proformance and flat shooting...but over the counter rounds are limited.

If it were me, go with the 30.06.
I'm 5'8" and don't have a problem with the .06....
Old 02-10-2006, 07:32 PM

i don't mean to scare you, but both of those calibers will kick and have recoil, especially with lighter rifles. i like the .270 over the 06 because it is a flatter shooter. however, if your in florida and your shots are under200 yards, then i would go with 30-06 but only with the managed recoil rounds from remington. with those 125 gr bullets the 06 is a dream to shoot. idon't remember if they make it for .270. my 84 year uncle hunted with his 06 using the managed recoil rounds and he killed 2 deer this last season, so i know they work as intended. heck, i sighted in his gun for him and it felt like i was shooting a 22-250, no lie. good luck
Old 02-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not to sound like a jerk or anything but....... do you guys get out much?

Bruce,
Ammo for .270 is available absolutely anywhere that the 30-06 is availale. While it does not have the range of bullet weight that the 30-06 has it is pretty much a non issue considering what you will be hunting. Florida deer and hogs require either a 150 grain bullet from the 30-06 or a 130 grain bullet from the .270. That's it. Even if you were to hunt animals as large as moose you still wouldn't need a bullet heavier than 180 grains in the 30-06 and the .270 has plenty of 140 and 150 grain bullets that will kill these animals just as dead.

Mr, bow,
Neither the .270 or 30-06 are hard kickers. Especially for someone that is 6 foot tall and 200+ pounds. Someone this size should be able to sit down at the bench and shoot mulitple boxes of cartridges from either of these two with no problem. My 12 year old son, who is 5'6" tall and 120 pounds, has a 30-06 for his hunting rifle and has absolutely no problem what so ever shooting 40 rounds or so from the bench.

Now that I got that out of the way.......... Sorry guys!

Either one will do a great job at killing deer and hogs. I prefer the .270 over the 30-06 but it is all a matter of personal preferance. What one person can do with one another person can do with the other.

The biggest thing you gotta remember is you gotta practice to get good. When you go out hunging you must remember to not push your personal effective range limit. The cartridges are every bit capable enough to take deer out to 500 and 600 yards but you won't be until you put in the time at the range shooting from real hunting positions.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful and very addicting world of guns and big game hunting.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to Bigbulls he is 100% correct.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

Listen to Bigbulls he is 100% correct.

and I would never suggest buying a gun with intent to shoot managed recoil rounds. Just get a smaller caliber.
A 30-06 with 125 gr managed rounds will be no where as good as say a 7mm-08 using normally loaded rounds.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 PM

Get a past recoil shield and use it when at the bench, also never shoot without hearing protecion when practicing . You'll never feel your gun recoil when shooting at game, I can gurantee that.I wouldn't recomend the shild except you said your a new shooter and it's available so you may as well use it. Shooting from the bench is the worst punishing of all possitions except prone because your body is leaning into the stock and resist moving with recoil. as for the difference in recoil between the two i'd guess maybe 2 - 3 lbs, not enough to notice. so buy the one you want, either will be plenty powerfull enough for what you want.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:09 PM

'06 recoil is not too bad. .270 seems a bit lighter to me. But I like the '06's greater selection of bullet weights. My savage 110 in '06 was a bit much when I had trouble sighting it in. I put 25 rounds through it on the bench at the range and I did get sore. I went to the gun store and bought a rubber slip on recoil pad for about 8 bucks. I took off the existing savage pad and slipped on the new pad. It really helped. It is not attractive but the 110 is not known as an elegant gun.
okcmco