Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Buying a rifle with taxes:0 help me decide;) >

Buying a rifle with taxes:0 help me decide;)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying a rifle with taxes:0 help me decide;)

Old 01-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Buying a rifle with taxes:0 help me decide;)

Gonna be used mainly on deer in several states... Might even try a few mule deer hunts.... wanting to be able to pop off some 400 yard shos on the range and around 300 in the woods been looking at getting a 30-.06 or a .308, but have been haring alot about the .270 WSM catridges wanting to keep the price around $400-$500 bucks.. what gu would ya recomend? I learn more towards american made wanting to find a rifle with MOA or guananteed accuracy

thanks

Old 01-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buying a rifle with taxes:0 help me decide;)

The only rifles that you are going to find remotely close to that price range that will guarantee 1moa is the Weatherby Vanguard sub moa rifle and a Tikka.

Outside of that you are looking at paying $2000+.

My vote goes to the vanguard Sub moa.

I am not a fan of tikkas at all. I do not like the one size fits all action length with plastic spacers in the magazine to accomodate different length cartridges. But this cuts costs and makes it more affordable. I do not like the fact that the receiver does not have a recoil lug. I am not a huge fan of cast receivers either.

I like a short action cartridge to be chambered in a true short action rifle. I like receivers machined from solid steel rather than cast. I like my guns receiver to have its own recoil lug instead of a slot cut in the bottom for a piece of metal to slip into it.

AS far as caliber goes I would look real hard at the regular .270 Win and the .270 WSM. Either one of these two cartridges have a very flat trajectory and are extremely potent deer cartridges. They also do very well on larger game such as moose and elk.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go for a 7mm Rem. Mag. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd look at the Tikka T-3 Lite, its a synthetic, blued gun around $519 here. They come with scope rings, so that saves you some cash. I would also opt for the 7mm.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: handloader1

I would go for a 7mm Rem. Mag. Good luck.
I second that. The 7 mag has good ballistics, and if you hunt a lot of open field type areas or if you start hunting elk a lot and find yourself shoot across gullies and such, you can spend a marginal amout and get it rechambered to a STW.

I recommend the Remington Model 700. I have a .270 in this model and won't buy anthing else.I routinely shoot 100 to 150 yards and have multiple holes close enough that they overlap or the paper is torn between them. DON'T skimp and get the model 710 however. If I'm not mistaken, it has cheaper and weaker composite parts in the reciever and I wouldn't want that if I ever had it rechamberd to the STW.

Good luck.

EDIT: You can pick up a Remington Model 700 7mm Mag for under $350 w/o a scope, so it fits your price range.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:03 PM

I second the vote for a Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA. It gaurentees it's accuracy andis made in the USA. Plus, it has some other really cool features, such as the ported bolt and shrounded bolt sleeve, so if a cartridge ever ruptures, it goes out the side, not into your face. If they made them forlefties (and I had extra money to spend), I'd be heading out the door to get one.

As far as the cartridges you listed, I'd go for either the 308 or 30-06. You'll have more choices than with the 270 WSM.

Good luck
Old 01-04-2006, 01:47 PM

I say go with the tikka. Lighter, very smooth, low lift bolt, detachable mag, sako barrel, and very accurate. I in fact just got in from shooting my ss/syn t-3 .270. I've bought 3 of these guns.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

My vote would also be the T-3 in a 270. Zeak