Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me decide on a new Rifle >

Help me decide on a new Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me decide on a new Rifle

Old 12-02-2005, 01:26 PM
Spike

Default Help me decide on a new Rifle

I need some help. The gun itch is beginning to start again and I need help with what to buy. I know I want a rifle that fills a void in my collection. I typically hunt whitetail. I always keep a second gun for family to use when they come in during hunting season.

I was thinking about a 338, but cannot convince myself to pull the trigger. I have no real interest in bear hunting. I have elk and moose guns in the collection and the 338, as much as I would like one, does not seem to have any practicality.

I was thinking about an AR, Bushmaster, DPMS style rifle, but cannot decide that way either.

While a duplication of many rifles, I have also thought about a 30-06. I would probably get it in a CZ with the Mannlicher stock. I know Ruger also makes it with the Mannlicher and would look there too. I really like this style stock and the 30-06 just seems right.

I am wide open to suggestions. Please explain your rational for each recommendation.

This is my current rifle collection:

Ruger #1

Ruger Skeleton Stock

Ruger #1

Winchester Ult. Shadow

270 WSM

Tikka Whitetail Hunter

7Mag

Wheatherby Vanguard

300 WSM

Ruger 77-22

Marlin 60A

Savage 93 17HMR

17 HMR

Old 12-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me decide on a new Rifle

How about a Muzzleloader?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Spike

Got one of those too.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about a handgun for hunting. Looks like you have it all covered up to Brownies otherwise
Old 12-02-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe a medium range lever action like a 30-30 or 45-70
Old 12-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh, sounds like you need a "special toy" heres what I got last year to curb such anitch. Since the weapons ban was not renewed all the "good stuff" is all legal again. I traded my old plain jane Bushmaster in for the newer Bushmaster M4 tactical. Collapsable stock, bayonet lug (I know who needs a bayonet lug), bird cage.......all the goodies!!! Outfit it with a good red dot and tactical light and start bustin down some doors!!!! Just talking about it makes me tingly!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 10:40 PM

how about a single shot? Ruger number 1. Or maybe a sharps replica in 45-70. Also, I have alot of fun with my Bulgarian Ak47 variant. Cheap ammo and cheap magazines.
How about a cool military weapon. Springfield 1903. Mine is a remington and is really accurate with the peep sights. Or a Garrand?
Let us know what you get
okcmo
Old 12-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Marlin 44 Mag lever gun. They are just fun to shoot and cool to own. This would also give you a reason to own a Ruger Blackhawk in the same caliber.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:41 AM

Get an Turkish Mauser action and build a 6.5x'06 AI or a 35 Whelen AI. Stick it on one of those new Fagen thumbhole stocks. That will keep you busy for the rest of the winter and you mind off new rifles! The good news is that you can work on the project a little at a time, thereby saving big chunks of cash!Regards, Rick.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:06 AM

Get you a big bore.....like a 45/70 in a Marlin 1895 or Cowboy......then you can reload till your hearts content!

firstshot
--------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a new Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.