Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Firearm Review Forum
 Help decide on rifle purchase >

Help decide on rifle purchase

Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Help decide on rifle purchase

Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help decide on rifle purchase

Okay, I'm new to this forum and have read quite a bit and am about to purchase my first rifle.

I grew up in Montana and hunted from age 12 to age 18 religiously but ended up moving to Texas and have just never gotten back into it.

I'm looking for a good general all purpose rifle. Primarily I will be hunting mule deer in eastern Montana but there is a possibility that I could end up hunting antelope or elk with it. I originally was set on a 7mm Mag but talking with some people I am now leaning toward a 30-06. (I shot a .270 Mossberg growing up and liked the gun, but if I ever do want to hunt elk I don't think that will cut it and don't want to have to buy another gun).

My brother recommended the Browning A-Bolt but I'm having a little bit of a hard time with the $850 price tag for a stainless with synthetic stock. I've also considered a Remington 700 Stainless that I've seen in the $550 price range andthe original gun I was looking at was a Ruger M77 Mark II also in stainless in the $500 range. I got tempted by the amazing price on the Remington 710 but after reading some more I decided that I wanted to buy a gun that would last a lifetime.

So, what are everyone's opinions of the 3 model choices above and the 2 caliber choices? My brother said I would be willing to practice withthe 30-06 more because bullets are cheaper and it won't kick as hard and so I would be a better shot with it than the 7mm Mag.

Growing up a 200 yard shot wasn't uncommon in Eastern Montana and you had even farther shots available if you were willing to take them. That's why I was originally leaning toward the 7mm Mag for the flat trajectory.

I will then need a decent scope so any specific recommendations there would be appreciated as well. I'm familiar with Nikon optics (cameras) and like those but am not locked in on a brand.

Not trying to start a brand war or anything, just trying to research out and purchase a good overall gun to use that would be something that will last a good long time.

Thanks in advance. Nathan
Old 12-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help decide on rifle purchase

Id choose the gun by what feels best to you. Id go to the shop and shoulderall and check the trigger feel also. I like the A-bolt in a landslide but thats just my opinion. It has better stuff right out of the box the rems and rugers.

And for caliber holy crap as many people will say th 06 as the 7mm mag. The 7mm is shoots a little flatter and is better at longer ranges and the 06' has prob the biggest bullet selection in factory loads you'll find. I dont think you'll go wrong with either.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, what HE said!

Find a rifle that shoulders just as if you were pointing your finger when you played "Cops & Robbers" as a kid. Go to a store with as many different brands as possible, given your location, then fondle them all! Find therifle that speaks to you, then flip a coin between the 2 calibers.

When you're done, GO SHOOT THE THING! A LOT!

Whatever you do, don't spend too much time on sites like this: they'll talk you out of a perfectly rational & well-thought-out decision! Rest assured that you're on the right track.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM

Yeah it's all up to you. Either .30-06 or 7mm Mag, they will get the job done.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:15 PM

I'd go 30-06 in the remington 700. I like...no wait...I really like the ruger actions but they pretty much require a aftermarket trigger and then you take a gamble on whether or not it will shoot well. Some are amazing...some are "minute of deer" and nothing more. Maybe look at Savage guns also. They are not pretty but they will certainly "last a lifetime" and are more accurate than anything in there price range.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Get what fits.

And don't forget to look at the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 and the Tikka models...all very accurate and in your price range.

For a scope, just get the Burris Fullfield II with the free binoculars for $199. I've never seen a better deal on optics in history!

If it were me, I'd go Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .270 Win. Great round for Eastern Montana (I've hunted there!) and will certainly be a terrific antelope rifle and will kill any elk that walks if you do your part.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

30-06 is the best choice. Everyone is right-decide what you want to spend, then handle alot of fireams til you find what feels best. Take a look at the single shots, they handle well. I saw where Midsouth is having a large sale on Nikon Monarch series scopes. They make a decent quality scope. Just check to see if the one you are buying is click adjustable, or friction adjustable. Ask the salesperson. Tom.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:43 PM

All I can say is good luck! I'm sort of in the same boat, only going .308 myself. I've been enjoying a headache for the last 4 days trying to decide just which brand I want myself. I know Savage is pretty good, used to have a 100E in .30-06, but I want a syn stock this go around and theirs is a bit boxy for my tastes. Looking at Stevens model 200, seems people enjoy them.. but then again, Vanguards are nice too.. if only a 22" barrel vs. the 24" standard and 20" compact. See the headache part? Anyway, honestly good luck, research what you want, go to pay for it and leave with something different.. it always ends up that way for me at least.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

30-06 is a good all around caliber.7Mag is to.Check out the the tikka t3 thread. Since I read it I've bought 2 tikka's and love both of them. For the $ you can't beat the gun or accuracy.I own a rem700 as well and love it to.As far as scopes, your gun is only as good as the scope on top of it. Do some looking around.I like Leupold and Zeiss's myself. The Zeiss conquest and Leupold Vari X II line are great scopes for the money. I have a Meopta Meostar on one of my Tikka's and it is super clear. They are a little more $$ though. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

7mm rem mag in 700 SPS sswith Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 and leupold DD rings/bases. T3 would be a solid choice as well but wasn't listed. Though like said you should buy on feel not others feel or preference.

06' isfine but does little to impress me. Recoil difference between the 2 in similar weight/style rifles are comparable, yes the 7mm isslightly stouter but certainly not unreasonable either. For the bullets the 06' prefers the SD of the .284 cal is better and as well suited for upto moose sized game. If I truly needed the 200 gr and up of the .308 diameter bullets the 06' wouldn't even be on my radar screen I'd jump to the 300 wm! Little doubt the 7mm rem mag will be the flatest of the 2 for possible longer range shooting though it won't make a hill of beans of difference under 300 yards. Cost to shoot is a little more for the 7mm rem mag but not drastically in all forms, though I reload and such things don't bother me. IMHO the cost of ammo is the smallest part of the hunting bill each year.

Quick Reply: Help decide on rifle purchase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.