Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recovered Bullet Thread....Lets see 'em >

Recovered Bullet Thread....Lets see 'em

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recovered Bullet Thread....Lets see 'em

Old 12-19-2005, 05:36 PM

Default RE: Recovered Bullet Thread....Lets see 'em

For many years Wby has used this brand of bullet in the 139gr & 154gr in there 7mmWby ammo. Now Wby is a well known and respected firearm in the industry for years. There guns have brought down animals all over the world! Would they pick an inferior bullet to use in there guns??? I don,t think so!! Some of these new bullets on the scene will be gone tommorrow for sure and many are already.Starting with many moly-coated ect. I shoot the Hornady bullets in many of my guns as well as the Wby i own. Hornady has move up in the for front of the ammunition industry. Those people whom bad mouth this bullet and that bullet,to me it seems all they really know is what they read,not due. Ask most of them if they killed any game with them. Now i got some people standing up i,m sure. I will stick with Hornady,and i also use the nice Sierra bullet and Speer as well. vangunsmith
Old 12-19-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hornady and sierras for me too.
I dont ever have a bullet to recover to show you guys, they are always pass throughs. I use a .243
Old 12-20-2005, 08:52 AM
DM

I've shot Hornandys on big game before, includeing the 139/7mmm. (in a 7 express Rem., and 7 Rem. mag.) I wasn't nearly so impressed withthem as Van seems to be.

As a guy that spent most of my time hunting in the bush of Alaska over the 25 years i lived there, 99.0% of the guys i saw carrying a Wby rifle were folks that just bought it new, and had all new cloths to go with it. Many had not fired there rifle more than 20 times in there life. I never saw even one "old hunter or guide" there carrying a Wby rifle.

I found the same thing many pro hunters in africa found, those 9 locking lugs would bind if "anything" got into them. (snow, dirt or ??) The only rifle i ever had fail in the field was a Wby mark 5. The bolt stop broke and the bolt came out in my hand when i shot at a moose andwas bolting the gun for a second shot. (340 wby mag.) I also knew a guy that lost the bolt out of his Wby when he opened the bolt, and put the rifle on his pack when walking up a trail. (they have this fixed now)

"If" those Hornandy bullets were so good, Wby wouldn't have made a deal with Nosler to put the first decent bullet that was ever in there ammo...

BTW, i'm not a fan of there "Norma" made brass that's on the soft side either. (i still have a 240 Wby on a Rem. 700 action/POAckley bbl)

In all my years of hunting i've never see any bullet work as well as a Nosler partition. There are lots of premium bullets made today, i even use to manufacture some myself, but nothing has such a high "working range" as NP's do. They expand in small animials and at lower velocities while still driveing in deep, with 99.9% exits even at high velocity! And that's "my" kind of bullet!!!

"If" you don't have an exit wound 99.9% of the time you won't have a blood trail either, and sometimes you need every advantage you can get to recover your animial.

Make my "hunting" bullets NP's please..........

Drilling Man
Old 12-21-2005, 02:33 PM

That Barnes looks great!! Had a friend pull one out of a whitetail doe this year in NY, looked identical to that. Those bullets are amazing!
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

175 grain Nosler Partition from a 280 Remington, leaves the barrel just shy of 2700 fps. took a doe (175 lb dressed) head on at the bottom of the white on the neck on a slight downward angle. Distance was 168 yds GPS'd. Bullet entered, hit the spine and destroyed it and traveled through the lungs, punched the diaphram and came to rest against the stomach and didn't break it, thank the lord...