Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Recovered PR Bullet from Cow Elk >

Recovered PR Bullet from Cow Elk

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Recovered PR Bullet from Cow Elk

Old 12-17-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Recovered PR Bullet from Cow Elk

Just got back from my 12 day late season Antlerless only Elk hunt here in Western Washington. Trip was a sucess other than some minor annoyances. Camping related.

Harvested a beautiful younger cow elk on Thursday of last week. Took my buddy till yesterday to fill his tag and we could leave.

I was really impressed by the PR Bullet as I had shot deer with them before but not elk. I used to like a heavier Buffalo style (bore diameter) bullet for elk thinking heavier was better. She was shot at a realitivily short range for what most of you whitetail guys think of the timber is thick here. She was 15 yards and I was actually worried the bullet would have came apart. Here are the pictures of the elk and bullet. Load was 110 ffg 777, 340gr 45 cal PR Bullet out of an Austin Helleck 50 caliber inline.

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/68775/size/big/cat/

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/68776/size/big/cat/

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/68777/size/big/cat/

http://www.ifish.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/68778/size/big/cat/

In the top pictures you can see the entrance wound. She was quartering away from me. I could not find a chunk of lungs larger than a baseball. Mostly jello. Bullet was in the far side "arm pit" just under the hide. She went all of 20ft and layed down and put here head down. I backed out and came back 30 minutes later with the pack board and tools. Could get the truck to within 500 ft of her after the Timber Company opened the gate for us (Wheyerhauser and we were about 3 miles behind a gate). Pulled her to the road with a rope and loaded her with 3 other guys into the truck. Hanging weight of just meat (boned out except for rib cage and neck, skinned, gutted and no head) was 230lbs.

Could not get the pictures to show in the post so did links. How do I get pictures to work? Is it because they are too big?

Thanks for looking.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Recovered PR Bullet from Cow Elk

my computer wont open the pics, but sounds like excellent bullet performance! Also some prime eating. Better fat cow than pore bull!! congrats!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:05 PM

The links worked for me how about others though?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

the links worked! thanks, and congrats again to the shooter!
Old 12-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Dominant Buck

The "PR" I am guessing is a Precision Rifle all lead bullet. What size of bullet was it, what kind of rifle did you use, what powder charge?

Congratulations on the elk.. that is some great eating. for some reason your pictures do not want to pass over on my system either.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the elk!!! I would guess that its a Precision all lead...
Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like the bullet performed perfectly.
Congratulations on you elk!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta love the precision rifle bullets! Congrats on your elk. I've shot the 220 grainers through shoulders and spines(shooting from above directly down) and they hold together incredibly well even at very close distances. It sometimes makes me wonder how necessary the copper jackets actually are provided you keep with the right quality/hardness of lead. Keep up the good work, Greg
Old 12-17-2007, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

I love it when you can recover a bullet and it's as big as a quarter . Congrats on your elk...
Old 12-18-2007, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, I also love them P.R. Bullets

Quick Reply: Recovered PR Bullet from Cow Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.