Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG) >

Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

I FINALLY HAVE IT!!! One of my customers has been promising me that he would bring me his 50BMG (State Arms single shot bolt) just to carry out for fartsNgiggles. I got a call from work this morning that it was waiting on me. I hightailed it up there and WOW this mother is BAAAAAD! It has a 8x32x56 Nightforce on it and since I am taking it out this weekend I don't have time toship some ammo into the shopfor it so I ran down to another gunshop and picked up two boxes of 600someodd grain ball ammo and am ready to LIGHT THIS MOTHER UP!!!

I honestly don't think people believe me (lol except those that really know me ) when I say I am going to shoot a doe with it "just because". The fellow who I bought the ammo from shoots 50s quite a bit and I was surprised when he told me they have the ballistics (too 1k yds) that basically mirror that of a 300WinMag. I was surprised, I know it REALLY retains velocity well (about 2700fps at muzzle and a hair over 2k at 1k yds) and with such heavy bullets it bucks the wind like no other, but I honestly didn't think it would shoot that relatively flat. I haven't quite figured out how in the world I am gonna get this 30-40# behemoth up into a 2man ladderstand yet, but once up there I have padded shooting rails and over 600yds in either direction from which to "lay em low". Our second rifle season opens Saturday and at 3 does per day, I have my work cutout for me.

I've seen vids and read/heard all the stories of using the mighty one on big game, but has anyone in here actually done it?

BOY this is gonna be fun
RA
Old 12-14-2005, 06:15 PM

Default RE: Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Have a ball RA. Take some pics of what a 50 will do to a doe if you get the chance. I too would really love to take a deer with a 50, "just because".[8D] Actually I would love to take an elk from across a canyon with one.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang it, I didn't check that my son was logged in and posted under his name.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

what I wouldnt give to be there with you!!! I (in my sick and twisted mindset) would be totally amused at just watching you sit in the tree with it, much less see you shoot something with it. Maybe you could use a spotter????
Old 12-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had talked to a guy that used to come in at works once in a while and he had mentioned that he had taken a bull moose with his 50BMG last year. Now I can’t confirm if he did it but he was not one to make things up. He did mention that he had taken out the head not to damage the meat....
Old 12-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've thought of doing something like that. that'ld be pretty cool to say the least. just be sure not to shoot over a hill.

something i've wondered is why people hunting in africa don't use the 50's in africa for dangerous game like elephants and such. especially if you could get something that would penetrate and still get a good bit of hydrostatic shock.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 PM

If I knew how to get my digital camera to work on this I would put a pic up of it. But I found one on the companies website. It is a East Ridge/State Arms "Rebel" with a 8x32x56 Nighforce atop it.

http://www.statearms.com/rebel.html

Hunter with regards too Africa and the big 50 it is my understanding that in some of the countries over there the 50BMG isn't legal for use except the military (whether that is true or not I cannot verify). But one thing that sticks in my mind would be the weight, size of the gun. I don't think you can build a 50 in anything much lighter than 25#s with most being in the 35-50# range. Anything any lighter would severely run the risk of physically hurting the shooter. This thing makes a 460 Wby look like a 38Special. Run the numbers, stoke a 750grn 50 caliber bullet up too 2900fps and you can imagine the kind of recoil it generates. I believe the ft#s generated by the bullet is somewhere in the 11k too 15k ft pnd range. Elephants at 1500yds would be childsplay! Also most ammo needs at least a 30" barrel with 34 or longer being preferred. Penetration wise, lol I seriously doubt ANYTHING over there would stop the bullet. It penetrates light armor and I just watched a video from the Marine corp where they shot it through a 3" thick manhole cover. I doubt Dumbo would do more than slightly slow the bullet down, lol. BUT I have seen videos somewhere in Africa where 50s were used and the animals fell like they were hooked up too a 220V.

This gun I have with scope is an even 40#s so I aint carrying it very far. LOL the stand I am actually going to be using it in is in the middle of a large field, is in a 100yr old oak tree that is 6' in diameter and I can drive my electric cart right up under it. So I AINT carrying this thing but about 5 steps!

This is gonna be FUUUUUUUUUN,
RA

Old 12-14-2005, 10:25 PM

Good luck, hope ya bag one. Back when I was shooting my 50, I took a coyote with it.It wandered onto the range while I was setting up.The yote had a 50 cal hole on entrance, and removed the front leg on the offside. But, the bullet hit the shoulder, it didn't just blow it off like you would think. Good luck
Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 PM

Thanks 1000, I was wonderin about that myself. I wasn't sure if I should go for a shoulder shot or aim further back and count on shock and energy damage to take em out. I don't really wanna just DESTROY the animal too the point were it is inedible, that would be wasteful. I would think a lil ol shoulder on a 120# doe wouldn't offer much resistance too something like the 50 so I kinda wonder if I wouldn't be better off staying off of it.

Coyote wise, we have LOTS of em out there. One steps out Saturday he is gonna REALLY hate my plans for him for the rest of the day!
RA
Old 12-15-2005, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds awesome. Please don't forget to provide pics. Go out and buy a camera if you don't have one.

Tom

Quick Reply: Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.