HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 09:32 PM
RedAllison

Default RE: Hehehe snicker snicker (50BMG)

If I knew how to get my digital camera to work on this I would put a pic up of it. But I found one on the companies website. It is a East Ridge/State Arms "Rebel" with a 8x32x56 Nighforce atop it.

http://www.statearms.com/rebel.html

Hunter with regards too Africa and the big 50 it is my understanding that in some of the countries over there the 50BMG isn't legal for use except the military (whether that is true or not I cannot verify). But one thing that sticks in my mind would be the weight, size of the gun. I don't think you can build a 50 in anything much lighter than 25#s with most being in the 35-50# range. Anything any lighter would severely run the risk of physically hurting the shooter. This thing makes a 460 Wby look like a 38Special. Run the numbers, stoke a 750grn 50 caliber bullet up too 2900fps and you can imagine the kind of recoil it generates. I believe the ft#s generated by the bullet is somewhere in the 11k too 15k ft pnd range. Elephants at 1500yds would be childsplay! Also most ammo needs at least a 30" barrel with 34 or longer being preferred. Penetration wise, lol I seriously doubt ANYTHING over there would stop the bullet. It penetrates light armor and I just watched a video from the Marine corp where they shot it through a 3" thick manhole cover. I doubt Dumbo would do more than slightly slow the bullet down, lol. BUT I have seen videos somewhere in Africa where 50s were used and the animals fell like they were hooked up too a 220V.

This gun I have with scope is an even 40#s so I aint carrying it very far. LOL the stand I am actually going to be using it in is in the middle of a large field, is in a 100yr old oak tree that is 6' in diameter and I can drive my electric cart right up under it. So I AINT carrying this thing but about 5 steps!

This is gonna be FUUUUUUUUUN,
RA